Following the AHIMA standards for education for both two-year HIT programs and four-year HIA programs, Health Information: Management of a Strategic Resource, 4th Edition describes the deployment of information technology and your role as a HIM professional in the development of the electronic health record. It provides clear coverage of health information infrastructure and systems along with health care informatics including technology, applications, and security. Practical applications provide hands-on experience in abstracting and manipulating health information data. From well-known HIM experts Mervat Abdelhak, Sara S. Grostick, and Mary Alice Hanken, this book includes examples from diverse areas of health care delivery such as long-term care, public health, home health care, and ambulatory care. An e-book version makes it even easier to learn to manage and use health data electronically.
- Did You Know? boxes highlight interesting facts to enhance learning.
- Self-assessment quizzes test your learning and retention, with answers available on the companion Evolve website.
- Learning features include a chapter outline, key words, common abbreviations, and learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter, and references at the end.
- Diverse examples of healthcare deliveries, like long-term care, public health, home health care, and ambulatory care, prepare you to work in a variety of settings.
- Interactive student exercises on Evolve, including a study guide and flash cards that can be used on smart phones.
- Coverage of health information infrastructure and systems provides the foundational knowledge needed to effectively manage healthcare information.
- Applied approach to Health Information Management and Health Informatics gives you problem-solving opportunities to develop proficiency.
- EXPANDED! Data analytics, meaningful use, and public health informatics content prepares HIM professionals for new job responsibilities in order to meet today’s, and tomorrow’s, workforce needs.
- EXPANDED! Emphasis on the electronic health care record educates you in methods of data collection, governance, and use.
- NEW! Chapter on data access and retention provides examples of the paper health record and its transition to the EHR.
- NEW! Focus on future trends, including specialty certifications offered by the AHIMA, the American Medical Informatics Associations (AMIA), and the Health Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS), explains the vast number of job opportunities and expanded career path awaiting you.
Section 1: Foundations of Health Information Management
1. Health Care Systems
2. The Health Informatics and Information Management Profession
Section 2: Health Care Data and Information Systems
3. Health Information Infrastructure and Systems
4. Health Data Concepts
5. NEW! Data Access and Retention
6. Electronic Health Record Systems
Section 3: Health Care Informatics
7. Classification Systems, Clinical Vocabularies, and Terminology
8. Technology, Applications, and Security
9. Information Systems Life Cycle and Project Management
Section 4: Data Management and Use
10. Statistics and Data Presentation
11. Research and Epidemiology
12. Performance Management and Patient Safety
13. Data Reporting, Interpretation, and Use
14. Public Health Informatics
15. Privacy and Health Law
Section 5: Management
16. Human Resource Management
17. Operational Management
18. Revenue Cycle and Financial Management