With a storyboard format and full-color illustrations, Phlebotomy: Worktext and Procedures Manual describes all aspects of phlebotomy, with complete coverage of equipment, safety procedures, arterial blood gases, point-of-care testing, and practical phlebotomy skills. Procedures are outlined in a detailed storyboard format, pairing steps with full-color photos to help you understand the equipment and techniques such as venipuncture, dermal puncture, arterial blood collection, and special procedures. Written by Robin Warekois and Richard Robinson, this book also includes workbook sections for review, study questions, competency checklists, and a mock certification exam providing effective preparation for the phlebotomy certification exam.
- A detailed, storyboard format outlines common procedures, with steps accompanied by new full-color photos.
- Study and certification exam preparation questions in each chapter help you review and remember the material.
- A mock certification exam in the appendix mirrors the format of the actual phlebotomy certification exam, allowing you to review for the exam with 150 multiple-choice questions.
- Competency Checklists at the end of the book summarize the most critical and important steps in phlebotomy procedures.
- Clinical scenarios and tips encourage you apply your knowledge to real-life challenges in the workplace.
- Student resources on an Evolve companion website include a pre-test, animations, a new procedural video collection, interactive exercises, a mock certification exam, and an audio glossary.
- An anatomy and physiology section offers illustrated, in-depth information on body systems.
- A perforated bookmark on the back cover serves as a quick, portable reminder of which stopper tops to use for various diagnostic tests.
- Flashbacks and Flashforwards provide a cross reference to related information in previous or upcoming chapters.
- NEW video collection on the Evolve companion website demonstrates how critical procedures are performed.
- NEW photos have been added, in addition to new content on professionalism and HIPAA, equipment, and technology.
- NEW! Avoid That Error scenarios help you develop critical thinking skills and provide helpful tips on resolving problematic situations.
Unit 1: Introduction to Phlebotomy
1. Introduction to Phlebotomy
2. Health Care Structure
4. Infection Control
Unit 2: Phlebotomy Basics
5. Medical Terminology
6. Human Anatomy and Physiology
7. Circulatory, Lymphatic, and Immune Systems
Unit 3: Specimen Collection
8. Venipuncture Equipment
9. Routine Venipuncture
10. Dermal Puncture
11. Venipuncture Complications
12. Blood Collection in Special Populations
13. Arterial Blood Collection
14. Special Collections and Procedures
15. Special Nonblood Collection Procedures
Unit 4: Specimen Handling
16. Specimen Transport, Handling, and Processing
17. Point-of-Care Testing
Unit 5: Professional Issues
18. Quality Phlebotomy
19. Legal Issues in Phlebotomy
Appendix A: Metric System Measurements
Appendix B: Common English-Spanish Phrases for Phlebotomy
Appendix C: Competency Checklists
Appendix D: Common Abbreviations
Appendix E: Mock Certification Exam
Appendix F: Answers to Chapter Questions and Mock Certification Exam Glossary