Get immediate access to a digital review copy
The print book is not currently available.
Even if you’ve never studied chemistry or biology before, this straightforward text makes microbiology easy to learn and helps you understand the spread, control, and prevention of infections. Content is logically organized and reflects just the right level of detail to give you a solid foundation for success, enabling you to connect concepts to real-world practice and confidently apply your scientific knowledge to patient care.
- Focuses on just the necessary information the introductory microbiology student needs to know, saving time and allowing you to focus on what is most important.
- UNIQUE! Why You Need to Know boxes put material in perspective, helping you to understand the history, impact and future of the topics under discussion.
- UNIQUE! Life Application boxes provide fun facts on how chapter topics apply to real world situations and events.
- UNIQUE! Medical Highlights boxes share anecdotal information about various pathological conditions.
- UNIQUE! Healthcare Application tables focus on pathogens as they relate to topics discussed in the chapter.
- Chapter outlines and key terms provide a framework for every chapter, enabling more efficient and effective learning.
- Learning objectives clarify chapter goals and guide you through content that needs to be mastered.
- Twenty review questions at the end of each chapter test you retention and help you identify areas requiring further study.
- UPDATED! Additional micrographs and cellular photos from author’s collection help engage you.
- NEW! Appendix on key human bacterial pathogens arranged by body system with text page references provides a quick reference to diseases, organisms, and their characteristics.
1. Scope of Microbiology
2. Chemistry of Life
3. Cell Structure and Function
4. Bacteria and Archaea
6. Eukaryotic Microorganisms
Section 2: Tools for Study and Control of Microorganisms
7. Physical and Chemical Methods of Control
8. Microbiological Laboratory Techniques
9. Microbiological Laboratory Safety Issues
11. Antimicrobial Drugs
Section 3: Infection, Disease, and Defense
12. Infection and Disease
13. The Immune Response and Lymphatic System
Section 4: Effects on Specific Body Systems
14. Infections of the Integumentary System, Soft Tissue and Musculoskeletal System
15. Infections of the Respiratory System
16. Infections of the Gastrointestinal System
17. Infections of the Nervous System and Sensory Structures
18. Infections of the Cardiovascular and Circulatory Systems
19. Infections of the Urinary System
20. Infections of the Reproductive System
Section 5: Factors Contributing to the Effects of Microorganisms on Human Health
21. Sexually Transmitted Infections/Diseases
22. Human Age and Infections
23. Microorganisms in the Environment and Effects on Human Health
24. Emerging Infectious Diseases
Appendix A: Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology
Appendix B: Medically Significant Microorganisms by Body Systems
Appendix C: Bibliography