Awarded first place in the 2019 AJN Book of the Year Awards in the Gerontologic Nursing category second place in the Advanced Practice Nursing category. Gain expert primary care of older adults with a case-based approach to geriatric primary care and multimorbidity management Written by two leading academic and clinical experts in geriatric primary care, Case Studies in Geriatric Primary Care and Multimorbidity Management, 1st Edition uses detailed Exemplar Case Studies and Practice case studies to teach you how to think like an expert geriatric clinician. Because most older adults have more than one condition when seeking care, both Exemplar and Practice Case Studies place a strong emphasis on "multimorbidity" management, (the management of patients with a host of complex, interacting conditions). To provide extensive practice in learning how to think like an expert, case studies reflect the reality that care does not necessarily begin or end in the primary care setting, cases move fluidly from primary care to acute care to inpatient rehabilitation to assisted living to long-term care. Building on foundational introductory chapters, cases also call on you to develop interprofessional collaboration skills and reflect the diversity of today's older adults, in terms of age (young-old to old-old), gender, culture, ethnicity, sexuality, socioeconomic status, and more! As you work through both basic-level and advanced Practice Case Studies, you can make extensive notes in the printed book and then go online to submit answers for grading and receive expert feedback for self-reflection.
- NEW! Introductory unit on the core principles of caring for older adults gives you a strong foundation in the principles of geriatric primary care and multimorbidity management.
- NEW! and UNIQUE! Exceptionally detailed, unfolding Exemplar Case Studies demonstrate how an expert advanced practitioner "thinks clinically" to provide care to older adults with multiple conditions.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Exceptionally detailed, unfolding Practice Case Studies emphasize patient diversity and multimorbidity management across healthcare settings to help you develop advanced clinical reasoning skills for geriatric primary care.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Strong emphasis on multimorbidity management focuses on caring for older adults with multiple chronic conditions.
- NEW! Emphasis on the continuum of care across settings reflects the reality that care does not necessarily begin or end in the primary care setting but can move from primary care to acute care to inpatient rehabilitation to assisted living to long-term care, and so forth.
- NEW! Online answer submission for grading and expert feedback for self-reflection.
- NEW! Emphasis on patient diversity reflects the makeup of today's older adult, population in terms of age (young-old to old-old), gender, culture, ethnicity, sexuality, socioeconomic status, and more.
- NEW! Emphasis on interprofessional collaboration use Exemplar Case Studies and Practice Case Studies to allow you to demonstrate your interprofessional collaboration skills.
Unit 1: Principles of Geriatrics and Multimorbidity Management
Chapter 1: The Physiology and Psychology of Aging
Chapter 2: Principles of Pharmacology in Geriatric Practice
Chapter 3: Untangling the Geriatric Assessment
Chapter 4: Palliative Care
Unit 2: Exemplar Case Studies in Multimorbidity Management
Exemplar Case Study 1: Weakness (Transient Ischemic Attack)
Exemplar Case Study 2: Agitation (Cognitive Dysfunction)
Exemplar Case Study 3: Shortness of Breath with Activity (Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease)
Exemplar Case Study 4: Wheezing (Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease)
Exemplar Case Study 5: Homelessness
Exemplar Case Study 6: Initial Primary Care Encounter (Hyperlipidemia)
Exemplar Case Study 7: Rash (Bullous Pemphigoid)
Exemplar Case Study 8: Dizziness (Atrial Fibrillation)
Exemplar Case Study 9: Fatigue (Anemia)
Exemplar Case Study 10: Agoraphobia (Chronic Mental Illness)
Exemplar Case Study 11: Joint Pain (Polymyalgia Rheumatica)
Exemplar Case Study 12: Urinary Frequency (Ovarian Cancer)
Exemplar Case Study 13: Hoarseness (Squamous Cell Throat Cancer)
Exemplar Case Study 14: Weight Gain (Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus)
Exemplar Case Study 15: Knee Pain (Post–Knee Replacement)
Exemplar Case Study 16: Insomnia (Heart Failure)
Exemplar Case Study 17: Fainting (Syncope)
Exemplar Case Study 18: Pain/Burning Sensation on the Back (Herpes Zoster)
Unit 3: Practice Case Studies in Multimorbidity Management
Basic Case Studies
Practice Case Study 1: Heartburn
Practice Case Study 2: Back Pain
Practice Case Study 3: Worsening Shortness of Breath with Activity
Practice Case Study 4: Hallucinations
Practice Case Study 5: Rhinitis
Practice Case Study 6: Shortness of Breath
Practice Case Study 7: Worsening Memory
Practice Case Study 8: Swelling
Practice Case Study 9: Abdominal Pain
Practice Case Study 10: Burning When Urinating
Practice Case Study 11: Painful wallowing
Advanced Case Studies
Practice Case Study 12: Painful Toe
Practice Case Study 13: Cough
Practice Case Study 14: Nosebleed
Practice Case Study 15: Loss of Height
Practice Case Study 16: Headache
Practice Case Study 17: Blood in the Urine
Practice Case Study 18: Falling
Practice Case Study 19: Weight Loss
Practice Case Study 20: Confusion
Practice Case Study 21: Leg Numbness
Practice Case Study 22: “Wooziness¿