Basic Immunology Functions and Disorders of the Immune SystemEdition 6
- EUR: €53.99
The print book is not currently available.
To allow you to review the book immediately, we would like to supply the digital version where possible. If you prefer to request the print book or only print is available, please allow 10-14 days for delivery.
- About the Editor
- Table of Contents
Meticulously reviewed and updated for today’s medical students, Basic Immunology, 6th Edition, is a concise text expertly written by the same distinguished author team as the best-selling, comprehensive text, Cellular and Molecular Immunology. This focused, easy-to-understand volume uses full-color illustrations and clinical images, useful tables, and practical features such as Summary Point boxes, end-of-chapter review questions, glossary terms, and clinical cases—all designed to help students master this complex topic in the most efficient, effective manner possible.
- Emphasizes clinical aspects of immunology , including disease pathogenesis, the development of novel therapies based on basic science, and an appendix of clinical cases for real-world application.
- Provides top-notch instruction from experienced teachers, course directors, and lecturers led by well-known editor and author Dr. Abul Abbas.
- Features a highly readable writing style and practical organization, now with fully revised content and updated images to reflect recent important advances in today’s understanding of the immune system.
- Provides additional online features such as answers to in-book chapter review questions, helpful animations, and self-assessment questions.
- Presents information in a format and style that maximizes usefulness to students and teachers studying medicine, allied health fields, and biology.
- Contains numerous features designed to help students understand key immunologic concepts: high-quality illustrations, practical tables, chapter outlines, bolded key points, and focus questions in every chapter for self-assessment and review.
- Includes an Enhanced eBook version with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
1 Introduction to the Immune System
Nomenclature, General Properties, and Components
2 Innate Immunity
The Early Defense Against Infections
3 Antigen Capture and Presentation to Lymphocytes
What Lymphocytes See
4 Antigen Recognition in the Adaptive Immune System
Structure of Lymphocyte Antigen Receptors and Development of Immune Repertoires
5 T Cell–Mediated Immunity
Activation of T Lymphocytes
6 Effector Mechanisms of T Cell–Mediated Immunity
Functions of T Cells in Host Defense
7 Humoral Immune Responses
Activation of B Lymphocytes and Production of Antibodies
8 Effector Mechanisms of Humoral Immunity
Elimination of Extracellular Microbes and Toxins
9 Immunological Tolerance and Autoimmunity
Self-Nonself Discrimination in the Immune System and Its Failure
10 Immune Responses Against Tumors and Transplants
Immunity to Noninfectious Transformed and Foreign Cells
Disorders Caused by Immune Responses
12 Congenital and Acquired Immunodeficiencies
Diseases Caused by Defective Immunity
Appendix I Glossary
Appendix II Cytokines
Appendix III Principal Features of Selected CD Molecules
APPENDIX IV Clinical Cases