Make difficult pathophysiology concepts come to life! Filled with vibrant illustrations, simplified language, and detailed online content Understanding Pathophysiology, 7th Edition delivers the most accurate information on treatments, manifestations, and mechanisms of disease across the lifespan. This new edition is fully revised and includes coverage of rare diseases and epigenetics to you with a thorough understanding of conditions affecting the human body. Plus, with over 30 new 3D animations on the companion Evolve site, quick check boxes at the end of each chapter, and disease progression algorithms, this text helps you engage with the fundamental knowledge you need to succeed in nursing school and in practice.
- Student resources include animations, review questions, answers to the Quick Check boxes (featured in the text), chapter summary reviews, and case study with answers for select chapters.
- Algorithms throughout the text clarify disease progression.
- Did You Know boxes highlight new developments in biologic research, diagnostic studies, preventive care, treatments, and more.
- Quick Check boxes tests your retention of important chapter concepts.
- Risk Factor boxes alert you to important safety considerations associated with specific diseases.
- Summary Review sections provide fast, efficient review of chapter content.
- Geriatric Considerations boxes and Pediatric Considerations boxes highlight key considerations for these demographics in relevant chapters.
- Consistent presentation helps you to better distinguish pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment for each disease.
- Glossary of approximately 1,000 terms familiarizes you with the most difficult or important terminology related to pathophysiology.
- NEW! Chapters on Alterations in Immunity and Obesity and Disorders of Nutrition feature the latest coverage of these hot topics.
- NEW! Additional coverage of rare diseases and epigenetics gives you a comprehensive understanding of conditions and cell growths that affect the human body.
- NEW! Streamlined content and illustrations ensures content is at an appropriate level for undergraduate students.
- NEW! More than 1000 illustrations in the text and 30+ new 3D animations on companion Evolve site bring difficult concepts to life for a new perspective on disease processes.
PART ONE: BASIC CONCEPTS OF PATHOPHYSIOLOGY
Unit 1: The Cell
1. Cellular Biology
2. Genes and Genetic Diseases
3. Epigenetics and Disease
4. Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology
5. Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases
Unit 2: Mechanisms of Self-Defense
6. Innate Immunity: Inflammation and Wound Healing
7. Adaptive Immunity
8. Alterations in Immunity NEW
9. Infection and Defects in Mechanisms of Defense
10. Stress and Disease
Unit 3: Cellular Proliferation: Cancer
11. Biology of Cancer
12. Cancer Epidemiology
13. Cancer in Children and Adolescents
PART TWO: BODY SYSTEMS AND DISEASES
Unit 4: The Neurologic System
14. Structure and Function of the Neurologic System
15. Pain, Temperature, Sleep, and Sensory Function
16. Alterations in Cognitive Systems, Cerebral Hemodynamics, and Motor Function
17. Disorders of the Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems and Neuromuscular Junction
18. Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children
Unit 5: The Endocrine System
19. Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation
20. Alterations of Hormonal Regulation
21. Obesity and Disorders of Nutrition NEW
Unit 6: The Hematologic System
22. Structure and Function of the Hematologic System
23. Alterations of Hematologic Function
24. Alterations of Hematologic Function in Children
Unit 7: The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
25. Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
26. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function
27. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function in Children
Unit 8: The Pulmonary System
28. Structure and Function of the Pulmonary System
29. Alterations of Pulmonary Function
30. Alterations of Pulmonary Function in Children
Unit 9: The Renal and Urologic Systems
31. Structure and Function of the Renal and Urologic Systems
32. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function
33. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function in Children
Unit 10: The Reproductive Systems
34. Structure and Function of the Reproductive Systems
35. Alterations of the Female Reproductive System
36. Alterations of the Male Reproductive System
Unit 11: The Digestive System
37. Structure and Function of the Digestive System
38. Alterations of Digestive Function
39. Alterations of Digestive Function in Children
Unit 12: The Musculoskeletal and Integumentary Systems
40. Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System
41. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function
42. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function in Children
43. Structure, Function, and Disorders of the Integument
44. Alterations of the Integument in Children
Approx. 1,000 illus.