This title is not available in digital formatRequest print copy
Once approved, please allow 10-14 days for delivery.
Learn to apply critical thinking and clinical reasoning to every clinical experience! Alfaro's Critical Thinking, Clinical Reasoning, and Clinical Judgment, 7th Edition brings the concepts of critical thinking, clinical reasoning, and clinical judgment to life through engaging text, diverse learning activities, and real-life examples. This easy-to-read, engaging textbook uses a "how to" approach to help you prepare for the NCLEX® Examination and, even more importantly, think like an expert nurse in clinical practice. The 7th edition emphasizes the need for critical thinking and critical appraisal when searching online for healthcare information, an increased focus on interprofessional collaboration, and expanded content on the growing trends of competency assessment, electronic charting (informatics) and "thinking beyond the EHR", and much more — making the book even more relevant to clinical practice.
- Clear, straightforward approach and motivational writing style provides vivid examples, memorable anecdotes, and real-life case scenarios to make content come alive.
- Focus on application ("how to") with supporting rationales (theory) makes difficult concepts easy to learn.
- Critical Thinking Indicators feature evidence-based descriptions of behaviors that foster critical thinking in nursing practice.
- Highlighted features and sections that promote deep learning include: This Chapter at a Glance, Learning Outcomes, Key Concepts, Guiding Principle boxes, Critical Moments boxes, Other Perspectives features, Think-Pair-Share activities, H.M.O. (Help Me Out) cartoons, real-life clinical scenarios, Key Points, Critical Thinking Exercises, and more!
- Cultural, spiritual, and lifespan content explores the nurse’s role in hospitals, long-term care settings, and entire communities, presenting a broad approach to critical thinking.
- Inclusion of ethics- and standards-based professional practice reflects the increased demand for accountability in today’s professional climate.
- Timely coverage of the latest in nursing education and critical thinking includes concept-based learning; QSEN and IOM standards; problem-focused versus outcome-focused thinking; prioritization and delegation; developing a culture of safe, healthy work environments; expanding roles related to diagnosis and management; improving grades and passing tests the first time; NCLEX exam preparation; ensuring that documentation reflects critical thinking; communication and interpersonal skills; strategies for common workplace challenges; and more.
- NEW! Spotlight on systems thinking teaches you to consider how things are related, while coverage of conceptual thinking helps you focus on big ideas first.
- NEW! Information on effective clinical simulations encourages learning through practice and debriefing.
- NEW! Clinical reasoning principles are highlighted throughout to ensure you are practice ready.
- NEW! Current critical judgment models are illustrated and explained in a clear, engaging style.
- NEW! Expanded content on growing nursing trends addresses competency assessment, electronic charting (informatics) and "thinking beyond the EHR," clinical evaluation, and preceptor and learner strategies.
- NEW! Strong emphasis on interprofessional collaboration includes new content on its growing importance in health care.
1. What are Critical Thinking, Clinical Reasoning, and Clinical Judgment?
2. Becoming a Critical Thinker
3. Critical Thinking and Learning Cultures: Teaching, Learning, and Taking Tests
4. Interprofessional Clinical Reasoning, Decision Making, and Judgment
5. Ethical Reasoning, Professionalism, Evidence-Based Practice, and Quality Improvement
6. Practicing Clinical Reasoning, Clinical Judgment, and Decision-making Skills
7. Interprofessional Practice Skills: Communication, Teamwork, and Self-Management NEW interprofessional collaboration focus!
Appendix A. Concept Mapping
Appendix B. Nursing Process Summary
Appendix C. Examples of CTIs within 4-Circle Model (New)
Appendix D. Patient’s Rights and Nurses’ Rights
Appendix E. DEAD ON Game
Appendix F. Key Brain Parts Involved in Thinking
Appendix G. Example SBAR Tool
Appendix H. Results of Two Studies Describing Critical Thinking Skills
Appendix I. Example Responses for Critical Thinking and Clinical Reasoning Exercises