This is the fifth edition of a popular, highly readable primer in obstetrics and gynaecology. It has been thoroughly updated and reconfigured to key into the new undergraduate curriculum n O&G devised by the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- Highly illustrated throughout.
- Essential information points at the end of chapters.
- Case histories throughout.
- Practical procedures boxes throughout.
- Alert (warnings or advice) and tick (guidance or definitions) boxes throughout.
- New editor: Professor Sabaratnam Arulkumaran.
- Now a multi-authored text written by eminent experts from across the specialty.
- Book entirely restructured to reflect the national undergraduate curriculum in obstetrics and gynaecology.
- Two new appendices: Principles of Perioperative Care and Governance, Audit and Research.
- Over 100 self-assessment MCQs at the end of the book.
Section 1 Essential reproductive science
1. Anatomy of the female pelvis
Caroline de Costa
2. Conception and nidation
3. Physiological changes in pregnancy
Fiona Broughton Pipkin
4. Placental and fetal growth and development
E. Malcolm Symonds
5. Perinatal and maternal mortality
Boon H. Lim
Section 2 Essential obstetrics
6. History taking and examination in obstetrics
7. Normal pregnancy and antenatal care
8. Obstetric disorders
Henry G. Murray
9. Maternal medicine
Suzanne V.F. Wallace, Henry G. Murray and David James
1. Assessment of fetal wellbeing
David James and Suzanne V.F. Wallace
11. Management of labour
12. Management of delivery
13. Postpartum problems
14. Psychiatric disorders of childbirth
Margaret R. Oates
Section 3 Essential gynaecology
15. Basic clinical skills in gynaecology
Ian M. Symonds
16. Gynaecological disorders
Ian S. Fraser
18. Early pregnancy care
Ian M. Symonds
19. Sexual and reproductive health
2. Gynaecological oncology
Hextan Y.S. Ngan and Karen Chan
21. Prolapse and disorders of the urinary tract
Ajay Rane and Jay Iyer
A: Principles of perioperative care
Stergios K. Doumouchtsis
B: Governance, audit and research
C: Medicolegal aspects of obstetrics and gynaecology
From customer reviews of the previous edition:
‘This is the O&G textbook to get! It is divided into three sections: a concise description of the basic science, then separate sections on obstetrics and gynaecology. The level of detail is spot on. The pages are colourful and friendly with clinical scenarios, essential points, pictures and tables throughout. The text is broken up by lots of headings for ease of reading and each chapter ends with a brief summary of the essential points - perfect for revision. Information is easy to find via the index and all the main subjects are covered. Marvellous.’
‘This is a very clear book which covers a variety of topics about O&G. It is suitable for beginners, but you may find it talking too briefly as you progress. Overall, this is a good book to start with.’
‘A very attractive text for undergraduates in medicine, midwives and SHOs in obstetrics and gynaecology preparing for the DRCOG. The text is comprehensive but clear and concise...the graphics are outstanding. This is definitely a textbook to inspire students...and is aesthetically a very pleasing book to handle and read.’
Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology