Are you unsure about your surgical nursing placement? Do you need guidance on what to prepare to get the most out of your practice learning? Will you have the range of skills to care for people undergoing surgery? What learning opportunities will there be to meet your competencies? How can you maximise your learning during this placement?
This book will help you with all these concerns. It will advise you on what to expect from the placement, what you can learn, how to link theory and practice, and how to make the most of your learning opportunities and meet your competencies.
- Takes a logical, step-by-step approach to preparing for learning on a surgical placement
- Provides an introduction to the principles of care, treatment and management of an individual undergoing surgery, linking university-learned theory to clinical practice
- Gives helpful evidence-based practice examples and resources to support placement learning
- Identifies clinical skills that underpin care of a person undergoing surgery
- Highlights potential learning opportunities and experiences available on a surgical nursing placement
- Explains how to develop your clinical portfolio by completing specific exercises and activities
- Maps all activities and exercises to the NMC competencies
- Discusses the possible challenges that may arise during a surgical placement and advises on approaches to a range of situations
- Adopts a case study/patient pathway approach to learning, from pre-admission to discharge.
- A unique guide to getting the most from clinical placements
- How to prepare for your placement
- What you can expect to learn during a placement
- Clear links to, and examples of, achieving NMC competencies
- Guidance on what to use as evidence for your portfolio
- Case studies that link theory with practice
- How to consolidate your experience and learn from the placement
- Tips, activities, further reading suggestions and useful websites.