Kumar and Clark's Clinical Medicine Edition 9
- EUR: €73.99
- About the Editor
- Table of Contents
- Book Reviews
The ninth edition of this best-selling textbook of clinical medicine builds even further on its formidable, prize-winning formula of excellence, comprehensiveness and accessibility.
‘This book is stunning in its breadth and ease-of-use. It still remains the "gold standard", thorough guide to clinical medicine its forefathers were.’ BMA Medical Book Awards judges.
New to this edition:
- 2 new chapters: Global Health and Women’s Health.
- 25 new authors.
- New online editor, Adam Feather, with a team of young doctors to augment the e-book which accompanies the print book with clinical tips, key learning points, drug tips, learning challenges, case studies and MCQs.
- Full text redesign to incorporate:
New system overview diagrams for clinical chapters.
New coloured headings to help identify content relating to disease, management, investigations etc.
New icons to aid text navigation.
11 new members and a new co-editor, Senaka Rajapakse, of the International Advisory Board.
Edited by Kumar and Clark, clinicians and educators of world-renowned expertise.
Authors comprise consultants at the top of their fields, paired with younger doctors closer to the exam experience, to ensure authority and relevance.
Enhanced e-book accompanies the print book, for ease of transportation and use on the move.
International Advisory Board, led by Professor Janaka de Silva and Professor Senaka Rajapakse, providing guidance for global coverage from across the world.
Contributions to the e-book by members of the International Advisory Board to amplify areas of clinical importance in their parts of the world
2 new chapters
- Women’s health
- Global health
25 new young consultant authors teamed with clinicians at the top of their career, to ensure the text is accessible for students and trainees.
A new role of online Editor. Adam Feather and his team of young doctors, have created (in the e-book) a host of embedded features including: chapter summaries, key-point boxes, self-assessment, top tips, extra content (videos and images) and more… They have focused on enabling more inexperienced learners to interpret the detail, navigate the content effectively and get the most from the text.
New co-editor for the International Advisory Board, Professor Senaka Rajapakse from the University of Colombo.
11 new members of the International Advisory Board.
9 new online international articles, including:
- Crimean Congo Hemorrhagic Fever
- Visceral Leishmaniasis
Full text re-design
- New diagrammatic anatomy and physiology overviews at the beginning of clinical systems chapters
- Coloured headings to help distinguish sciences, procedures, etc.
- New icons to aid text navigation
- Divided into three sections for greater ease of navigation:
- Good Medical Practice
- Clinical Sciences
- Clinical Practice
Bigger chapters unbundled into smaller chapters for ease of access.
- Clinical Pharmacy now separate from Poisoning
- STIs and HIV now separate from Infectious Disease
- Biliary Tract and Pancreatic Disease now separate from Liver
- Rheumatic Disease now separate from Bone Disease
- Lipid and Metabolic Disease now separate from Diabetes Mellitus
Coming soon: Semantic zoom – an online text summarising tool which will provide stages of the book’s content in decreasing levels of detail according to your need: from the full text to the bare essentials. Keep checking your registered e-book for updates!
Section 1 Good medical practice
1. Ethics, law and communication
Deborah Bowman, Annie Cushing
2. Clinical pharmacology
Michael Rawlins, Munir Pirmohamed
3. Palliative medicine and symptom control
Miriam J Johnson, Gail E Eva, Sara Booth
4. Global health
Babulal Sethia, Parveen Kumar
5. Environmental medicine
Michael L Clark
Allister Vale, Sally Bradberry
Section 2 Clinical sciences
7. Molecular cell biology and human genetics
David P Kelsell, Kenneth J Linton
8. The immune system and disease
Mark Peakman, Matthew Buckland
9. Water, electrolytes and acid–base balance
M Magdi Yaqoob, Kieran McCafferty
Marinos Elia, Susan Lanham-New
Section 3 Clinical practice
11. Infectious disease
Gavin Barlow, William L Irving, Peter J Moss
12. Sexually transmitted infections and HIV
Janet Wilson, Jane Anderson
13. Gastrointestinal disease
James Lindsay, Louise Langmead, Sean L Preston
14. Liver disease
Graham Foster, Alastair O’Brien
15. Biliary tract and pancreatic disease
David Westaby, Christopher Wadsworth
16. Haematological disease
Michael F Murphy, K John Pasi, Adam Mead
17. Malignant disease
Christopher J Gallagher, Matthew Smith, Jonathan Shamash
18. Rheumatic disease
Anisur Rahman, Ian Giles
19. Bone disease
Donncha O’Gradaigh, Richard Conway
20. Kidney and urinary tract disease
M Magdi Yaqoob, Neil Ashman
21. Neurological disease
22. Psychological medicine
Julius Bourke, Peter D White
23. Cardiovascular disease
Nicholas H Bunce, Robin Ray
24. Respiratory disease
Anthony J Frew, Sarah R Doffman, Katharine Hurt, Rachel Buxton-Thomas
25. Critical care medicine
Charles J Hinds, Rupert M Pearse, Michael O’Dwyer
26. Endocrine disease
Miles J Levy, Helena Gleeson
27. Diabetes mellitus
Edwin AM Gale, John V Anderson
28. Lipid and metabolic disorders
John V Anderson
29. Women’s health
Catherine Nelson-Piercy, Lesley Regan
30. Ear, nose and throat and eye disease
Francis Vaz, Nishchay Mehta, Robin D Hamilton
31. Skin disease
David G Paige, Sarah Wakelin
From reviews of the previous edition:
British Journal of Hospital Medicine
‘This is the eighth edition of Kumar and Clark in 15 years, which is a remarkable achievement and testament to the authors' dedication - the title of Kumar and Clark is now legendary. It is regarded by many as the "must-have" textbook for budding and qualified doctors and the "gold standard" when compared against competitor textbooks. Previous editions have been applauded for being both comprehensive and student-friendly. Does the latest edition live up to the high expectation? The short answer is yes….’
From user reviews:
‘Five stars’, ‘Brilliant book’, ‘Brilliant for medical students’, ‘One of the best books I ever bought’, ‘ Very good’, ‘Super book’, ‘Essential’…
British Medical Association Medical Book Awards:
- First prize winner Digital and Online Resources 2013 (eighth edition)
- First prize winner for Medicine BMA Medical Book Awards 2010 (seventh edition); 2006 (sixth edition)