Hutchison’s Clinical Methods, first published more than a century ago, is the classic textbook on clinical skills. It provides an outstanding source of learning and reference for undergraduate medical students and postgraduate doctors. It seeks to teach an integrated approach to clinical practice, so that new methods and investigations are grafted onto established patterns of clinical practice, rather than added on as something extra. The text is organised so that both system-related and problem-oriented chapters are included. Particular emphasis is placed on the importance of the doctor-patient relationship, the essential skills needed for clinical examination, and for planning the appropriate choice of investigations in diagnosis and management. Hutchison’s Clinical Methods is an invaluable resource for all those learning and training in medicine and is an essential adjunct to a standard textbook of medicine, surgery or other specialty.
- The book provides a comprehensive account of the traditional methods of patient history-taking and examination but is updated with a full account of the role of modern investigative techniques.
- This is a book for students of all ages and all degrees of experience.
- This established textbook of clinical methods has been thoroughly reviewed by an international group of students and trainee doctors to ensure the text concentrates on the basic principles of history and examination in all the various clinical settings which medical students need to master.
- The global perspective of the book has been enhanced with a new International Advisory Board recruited from South Asia and the Middle East.
General patient assessment
- General principles of history-taking
- General patient examination and differential diagnosis
- The next steps: differential diagnosis and initial management
- Ethical considerations
Assessment in particular groups
- Children and adolescents
- Older people
- Psychiatric assessment
- Patients presenting as emergencies
- Patients with a fever
- Patients in pain
- Respiratory system
- Cardiovascular system
- Gastrointestinal system
- Locomotor system
- Nervous system
- Urogenital system
- Endocrine and metabolic disorders
- Skin, nails and hair
- Ear, nose and throat