Essential Surgery Problems, Diagnosis and ManagementEdition 6
- EUR: €64.99
This title is not available in digital format
The print book is not currently available.
- About the Editor
- Table of Contents
Essential Surgery is well-established as one of the leading textbooks of surgery for medical students, core surgical trainees and in professions allied to medicine. Covering general surgery, trauma, orthopaedics, vascular surgery, paediatric surgery, cardiothoracic surgery and urology, it incorporates appropriate levels of basic science throughout. The book is ideal for contemporary clinical courses as well as being a practical manual for readers at more advanced levels. Its main aim is to stimulate the reader to a greater enjoyment and understanding of the practice of surgery.
- The uniformity of the writing style and the clarity of elucidation will encourage sustained reading, while the emphasis on the principles of surgery will enable a real understanding of the subject matter.
- The book incorporates a problem-solving approach wherever possible, emphasising how diagnoses are made and why particular treatments are used.
- The pathophysiological basis of surgical diseases is discussed in relation to their management, acting as a bridge between basic medical sciences and clinical problems.
- The book’s extensive use of original illustrations, boxes and tables emphasises important concepts and will aid revision.
- The principles of operative surgery and perioperative care are explained together with outlines of common operations, enabling both students and trainee surgeons to properly understand procedures and to participate intelligently in the operating department.
- A major revision of the text has taken full account of the progressive evolution of surgery and includes new concepts that have advanced medical understanding.
- Key topics have been updated to ensure the book’s contents match the curriculum of the UK Intercollegiate MRCS examination.
- The broad experience of surgical teaching and training of a team of new authors has brought a fresh perspective on the book’s contents and its presentation.
- New consensus guidelines for managing common disorders have been revised where appropriate.
Principles of surgical care
- Mechanisms of surgical disease and surgery in practice
- Managing physiological change in the surgical patient
- Immunology, inflammation and infection
- Shock and resuscitation
- Imaging and interventional techniques in surgery
- Screening for adult disease
- Preoperative assessment
- Medical problems
- Blood transfusion
- Diagnosis and management of common postoperative problems
- Principles of operative surgery
- Complications of surgery
- Principles of cancer management
- Principles of transplantation surgery
Principles of accident surgery
- Major injuries
- Head and maxillofacial injuries
- Soft tissue injuries and burns
Symptoms, diagnosis and management
- Non-acute abdominal pain and other abdominal symptoms and signs
- The acute abdomen and acute gastrointestinal haemorrhage
- Gallstone diseases and related disorders
- Peptic ulceration and related disorders
- Disorders of the oesophagus
- Tumours of the stomach and small intestine
- Tumours of the pancreas and hepatobiliary system
- Colorectal polyps and carcinoma
- Chronic inflammatory disorders of the bowel
- Disorders of large bowel motility, structure and perfusion.
- Anal and perianal disorders
- Thoracic surgery
- Hernias and other groin problems
- Disorders of the male genitalia
- Symptoms and signs and investigation of urinary tract disorders
- Disorders of the prostate
- Tumours of the kidney and urinary tract
- Stone disease of the urinary tract
- Urinary tract infections
- Congenital disorders and diseases secondarily involving the urinary tract
- Pathophysiology, clinical features and diagnosis of vascular disease affecting the limbs
- Managing lower limb arterial insufficiency, the diabetic foot and major amputations
- Aneurysms and other peripheral arterial diseases
- Venous disorders of the lower limb
- Cardiac surgery
- Disorders of the breast
- Disorders of the skin
- Lumps in the head and neck and salivary calculi
- Disorders of the mouth
- Disorders of the thyroid and parathyroid glands
- Acute surgical problems in children
- Non-acute abdominal and urological problems in children