The (printed) ‘Updated Edition’ now comes with added value access to the complete, downloadable eBook version via Student Consult. Search, read and revise whilst on the move and use the interactive self-assessment to test your understanding. Crash Course - a more flexible, practical learning package than ever before.
Crash Course – your effective every day study companion PLUS the perfect antidote for exam stress! Save time and be assured you have all the information you need in one place to excel on your course and achieve exam success.
A winning formula now for over 15 years, each series volume has been fine tuned and fully updated, with an improved layout tailored to make your life easier. Especially written by senior medical students or recent graduates – those who have just been in the exam situation – with all information thoroughly checked and quality assured by expert faculty advisers, the result are books which exactly meet your needs and you know you can trust.
This volume explains the essential concepts of human metabolism and nutrition in a memorable, easy-to-understand format. Complex information is provided succinctly and is accompanied by a full artwork programme making an often challenging subject very accessible. A full discussion of metabolic diseases then adds relevance to the underlying concepts while clinical assessment and examination, common skills and further investigations complete the picture. A fully revised self-assessment section matching the latest exam formats is also included to check your understanding and aid exam preparation.
- Provides the exam syllabus in one place!
- Written by senior medical students or junior doctors – authors who really understand today’s exam situation!
- Senior Faculty Advisors ensure complete accuracy of the text!
- Full artwork programme, improved ‘Hints and Tips’ boxes, and ‘Clinical Application’ boxes help you remember the key points!
- Self-Assessment section – fully updated to reflect new curriculum requirements – helps you maximise your grade!
- Solid, accurate, user-friendly coverage provides enough detail even for those aiming at distinction!
- Self-assessment section fully updated to reflect current exam requirements
- Contains ‘common exam pitfalls’ as advised by faculty
- Crash Courses also available electronically!
- Online self-assessment bank also available - content edited by Dan Horton-Szar!
Overview of Metabolism; Carbohydrate and Energy Metabolism; Production of NADPH; Lipid Metabolism and Transport; Protein Metabolism; Purines, Pyrimidines and Haem; Glucose Homeostasis; Nutrition
Part 2 Clinical Assessment
Presentation of Metabolic Disease; History and Examination; Further Investigations
Part 3 Self Assessment
MCQs; SAQs; EMQs
As with previously reviewed `Crash course' books, these texts are written for students by students, as such the understanding of the subject matter is made much easier due to the author considering your current knowledge is null and void!
What I enjoy the most about these books is how everything is broken down, right back to basics, to understand for example, `HOW' ATP is generated, and although when flicking through the book you may be tempted to put it right back on the shelf when you see some of the diagrams of certain synthesis productions and their subsequent stages, the supporting text does take you through each stage step by step.
The chapters on vitamins and minerals I believe would be of benefit for student nurses due to further understanding chemical implications and the chapter on metabolic disease is excellent detailing why they occur, complications and symptoms.
Kate Philp, Nursing Student, UK