The (printed) ‘Updated Edition’ now comes with added value access to the complete, downloadable eBook version via Student Consult. Search, read and revise whilst on the move and use the interactive self-assessment to test your understanding. Crash Course - a more flexible, practical learning package than ever before.
Crash Course – your effective every day study companion PLUS the perfect antidote for exam stress! Save time and be assured you have all the core information you need in one place to excel on your course and achieve exam success.
A winning formula now for over 15 years, each series volume has been fine tuned and fully updated, with an improved layout tailored to make your life easier. Especially written by junior doctors – those who understand what is essential for exam success – with all information thoroughly checked and quality assured by expert Faculty Advisers, the result is a series of books which exactly meets your needs and you know you can trust.
Psychiatry can present a unique and sometimes daunting set of challenges to those approaching the specialty for the first time. This substantially revised fourth edition provides an accessible yet comprehensive introduction to this fascinating field. Ideal both as a revision aid and for preparation for work in A&E, the wards, clinics or GP surgeries, this book is full of practical hints and tips which will inspire confidence and to guide you towards systematic assessments, rational diagnoses and evidence based management plans.
- More than 220 line artworks, tables and boxes present clinical, diagnostic and practical information in an easy-to-follow manner
- Friendly and accessible approach to the subject makes learning especially easy
- Written by junior doctors for students - authors who understand exam pressures
- Contains ‘Hints and Tips’ boxes, and other useful aide-mémoires
- Succinct coverage of the subject enables ‘sharp focus’ and efficient use of time during exam preparation
- Contains a fully updated self-assessment section - ideal for honing exam skills and self-testing
- Provides the exam syllabus in one place - saves valuable revision time
- Written by recent graduates and specialty trainees - those closest to what is essential for exam success
- Quality assured by leading Faculty Advisors - ensures complete accuracy of information
- Features the ever popular 'Hints and Tips' boxes and other useful aide-mémoires - distilled wisdom from those in the know
- Fully updated self-assessment section matching the latest exam formats – confirm your understanding and improve exam technique fast
- Includes useful ‘Learning Objectives’ at the start of each chapter
- Pharmacological and disease management information updated in line with current best practice guidelines.
PART II: DISEASES AND DISORDERS 13 The mood (affective) disorders 14 The psychotic disorders: schizophrenia 15 The anxiety and somatoform disorders 16 Dementia and delirium 17 Alcohol and substance-related disorders 18 The personality disorders 19 Eating disorders 20 Disorders related to menstruation, pregnancy and the puerperium 21 The sleep disorders 22 The psychosexual disorders 23 Child and adolescent psychiatry 24 Old-age psychiatry 25 Forensic psychiatry
PART III: HISTORY, EXAMINATION AND COMMON INVESTIGATIONS 26 Psychiatric assessment and diagnosis 27 Pharmacological therapy and ECT 28 Psychological therapy 29 Mental health legislation 30 Mental health service provision
PART 1V: SELF-ASSESSMENT