Updated to reflect the newest changes in genetics, Thompson & Thompson's Genetics in Medicine returns as one of the most favored texts in this fascinating and rapidly evolving field. By integrating the classic principles of human genetics with modern molecular genetics, this medical reference book utilizes a variety of learning tools to help you understand a wide range of genetic disorders.
- Acquire the state-of-the-art knowledge you need on the latest advances in molecular diagnostics, the Human Genome Project, pharmacogenetics, and bio-informatics.
- Better understand the relationship between basic genetics and clinical medicine with a variety of clinical case studies.
- Recognize a wide range of genetic disorders with visual guidance from more than 240 dynamic illustrations and high-quality photos.
- Immerse yourself in updated graphics , full-color text, illustrations, line diagrams, and clinical photos of genetic diseases.
- Explore the latest genetic content available in order to remain up to date on the most current trends in the field.
- Take advantage of a double-page clinical case study section that demonstrates and reinforces general principles of disease inheritance, pathogenesis, diagnosis, management, and counseling.
- Enhance your critical thinking skills and better retain information. Each chapter ends with up to 5 quick genetic "problems" related to what has just been reviewed, with answers provided in the back of the book.
- Student Consult eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices. You'll also access USMLE-style and multiple choice questions.
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 Introduction to the Human Genome
Chapter 3 The Human Genome: Gene Structure and Function
Chapter 4 Human Genetic Diversity: Mutation and Polymorphism
Chapter 5 Principles of Clinical Cytogenetics and Genome Analysis
Chapter 6 The Chromosomal and Genomic Basis of Disease: Disorders of the Autosomes and Sex Chromosomes
Chapter 7 Patterns of Single-Gene Inheritance
Chapter 8 Complex Inheritance of Common Multifactorial Disorders
Chapter 9 Genetic Variation in Populations
Chapter 10 Identifying the Genetic Basis for Human Disease
Chapter 11 The Molecular Basis of Genetic Disease
Chapter 12 The Molecular, Biochemical, and Cellular Basis of Genetic Disease
Chapter 13 The Treatment of Genetic Disease
Chapter 14 Developmental Genetics and Birth Defects
Chapter 15 Cancer Genetics and Genomics
Chapter 16 Risk Assessment and Genetic Counseling
Chapter 17 Prenatal Diagnosis and Screening
Chapter 18 Application of Genomics to Medicine and Personalized Health Care
Chapter 19 Ethical and Social Issues in Genetics and Genomics
"This eighth edition is masterfully written by Nussbaum, McInnes, and Willard. Widely known as Thompson and Thompson, this is an instrumental book in the field."
-Luis F. Escobar, MD, MS (St. Vincent Hospital and Health Care Center) Doody’s Score: 100 - 5 Stars!