- Incorporates nutrition assessment into almost every chapter, emphasizing performance of a complete nutrition assessment as a basis for planning nutrition interventions and teaching.
- Covers both enteral and parenteral nutrition support.
- Highlights the importance of weight control and physical activity for the prevention and care of diabetes and other health problems.
- Cultural and ethnic nutrition information helps you understand food preferences of diverse populations to aid in planning interventions that will better suit clients’ needs.
- Appendixes available on Evolve provide valuable resources for nutrition intervention, referral, and teaching.
- The glossary gives you clear definitions of words in an easily accessible reference.
- MyPyramid and MyPyramid for Kids simplify diet and lifestyle planning for all age groups.
- NEW assessment tool MEDFICTS (Meat, Eggs, Dairy, Fried foods, In baked goods, Convenience foods, Table fats, Snacks) helps evaluate an individual’s diet.
- MORE information on limiting sodium intake to fight hypertension and ischemic heart disease.
- EXPANDED content on the liver, particularly related to hepatitis.
- NEW table lists medications that can impair control of glucose and lipid levels.
- NEW information on medications to address the nutritional implications of cancer, HIV infection, and diabetes.
1. Nutrition and Health: Overview
2. Nutrition Assessment
3. Pregnancy and Lactation
4. Infancy, Childhood, and Adolescence
5. Adulthood and Aging
6. Athletic Performance
7. Obesity and Weight Control
UNIT II. Nutrition Support
8. Enteral Nutrition
9. Parenteral Nutrition
UNIT III. Medical Nutrition Therapy
10. Metabolic Stress: Critical Illness, Trauma, and Surgery
11. Gastrointestinal, Pancreatic, and Liver Dysfunction
13. HIV Infection
14. Cardiovascular Disease
15. Pulmonary Disease, Including Cystic Fibrosis
16. Renal Disease
17. Diabetes Mellitus
18. Alcohol-Related, Mental, and Neurological Disorders
19. Eating Disorders
20. Pediatric Disorders
"The sixth edition of this American text features nutrition information in relation to health promotion and medical therapy, as well as a good glossary and online appendices." Nursing Standard, November 2009
"The book provides excellent guidelines for nurses, midwives and members of the inter-disciplinary team in the pursuit of performing a thorough, holistic assessment of nutritional status and subsequent intervention to improve or maintain that status. The information in the book is comprehensive... wherever nutritional assessment is carried out, whether it is in primary or secondary care, this book could provide valuable support and guidance." Nurse Education in Practice, July 2009
"This is one of Mosby’s Pocket Guide Series so it is reasonably compact. This edition builds on previous editions and is the sixth in eleven years. This suggests that updates have been made consistently to maintain the texts currency and indeed builds on previous material and evidence....With 608 pages and retail price of £20.99, this book offers good value for money and will enhance the understanding of those who deliver care and nutritional advice."
Journal of Orthopaedic Nursing