Get immediate access to a digital review copy
The print book is not currently available.
Practice the skills you'll need to succeed in health insurance billing! Corresponding to the chapters in Health Insurance Today, 3rd Edition, by Janet I. Beik, this workbook offers preparation for the tasks you'll encounter on the job. Practical assignments reinforce the information in the textbook, and learning activities and exercises ask you to apply your knowledge to real-world situations.
- Performance objectives include hands-on, application-based learning activities with practice in areas such as completing claim forms, posting payments to a patient's ledger, filling out "Release to Return to Work" forms, and filling out Medicare appeals.
- Critical thinking activities strengthen your ability to apply health insurance concepts to a variety of challenging situations.
- Defining Chapter Terms activities help you review and understand key terms in each chapter.
- Chapter assessments test your knowledge of text content with multiple choice, true/false, short answer, fill-in-the-blank, and matching questions.
- Problem solving/collaborative (group) activities emphasize the importance of teamwork in the health care field.
- Case studies ask you to solve a real-world problem related to health insurance, such as completing a CMS-1500 claim form or explaining how HIPAA could affect someone recently out of work.
- Application exercises ask you to apply your knowledge and skills to real-world situations.
- In-class projects and discussion topics enhance your understanding of specific content from the text.
- Internet Exploration exercises in each chapter help you learn how to perform research online.
- NEW! Key coverage of new topics includes Medicare, Electronic Health Records, and Version 5010.
- UPDATED! Additional ICD-10 coding content prepares you for the upcoming switch to the new coding system in October 2015.
- NEW! Content on Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act ensures you stay current on these significant healthcare system changes.
Unit 1: Building a Foundation
1. The Origins of Health Insurance
2. Tools of the Trade: A Career as a Health (Medical) Insurance Professional
3. The Legal and Ethical Side of Medical Insurance
4. Types and Sources of Health Insurance
Unit 2: Health Insurance Basics
5. Claim Submission Methods
6. Traditional Fee-for-Service/Private Plans
7. Unraveling the Mysteries of Managed Care
8. Understanding Medicaid
9. Conquering Medicare’s Challenges
10. Military Carriers
11. Miscellaneous Carriers: Workers’ Compensation and Disability Insurance
Unit 3: Cracking the Codes
12. Diagnostic Coding
13. Procedural, Evaluation and Management, and HCPCS Coding
Unit 4: The Claims Process
14. The Patient
15. Keys to Successful Claims Management
Unit 5: Advanced Application
16. The Role of Computers in Health Insurance
17. Reimbursement Procedures: Getting Paid
18. Hospital Billing and the UB-04
Appendix A: Sample Blank Forms to be Reproduced