Looking for a conversational and easy-to-follow book that walks you through the most important nursing concepts and helps you apply them in practice? Then look no further than Concepts for Nursing Practice, 2nd Edition! Written by conceptual learning expert Jean Giddens, this innovative interactive text explains 58 of the most common nursing concepts — including six all new concepts — that span the areas of patient physiology, patient behavior, and the professional nursing environment. Featured exemplars for each concept are also discussed to help you more easily understand the concepts and apply them to the clinical setting. In addition to more concepts and featured exemplar sections, this new second edition also boasts a more intuitive organization and review questions for both RN and LPN/LVN programs. In a nutshell, Concepts for Nursing Practice, 2nd Edition is not only the key to understanding nursing concepts, it’s also the way to hone your clinical reasoning skills and be confidently prepared for almost any workplace situation.
- Authoritative content written by expert Jean Giddens sets the standard for the rapidly growing concept-based curriculum movement.
- Exemplar lists for each concept, covering the lifespan and all clinical settings aid readers in assimilating concepts into practice.
- Case studies in each chapter allow readers to apply knowledge of concepts to real world examples.
- Logical organization of concepts into units and themes helps readers form immediate connections among related concepts – a key to conceptual learning.
- Original concept illustrations give readers visual cues to understanding and making connections across concepts.
- NEW! Six all-new concepts — spirituality, self-management, sleep, hormonal regulation, fatigue, and health disparities — cover a broader spectrum of nursing practice and provide added flexibility across a variety of nursing programs.
- NEW! Featured exemplar sections highlight selected exemplars related to each concept and provide a brief synopsis of the exemplar.
- NEW! Expanded resources for LPN/LVN programs include unique student review questions to offer additional study assistance.
- NEW! Revised format for Health and Illness concepts includes concise and consistent explanations of conditions across the lifespan along with the rationale for care.
- NEW! Revised format for Health Care Recipient and Professional Nursing/Health Care concepts provides streamlined explanations of conceptual material in a more logical order.
- NEW! Renamed theme on Resilience (formerly Coping and Stress Tolerance) emphasizes this increasingly important aspect of personal responsibility in health and illness.
Unit 1: Health Care Recipient Concepts
Theme: Attributes and Resources
2. Functional Ability
3. Family Dynamics
Theme: Personal Preference
Unit 2: Health and Illness Concepts
Theme: Homeostasis and Regulation
8. Fluid and Electrolytes
9. Acid-Base Balance
12. Cellular Regulation
13. Intracranial Regulation
14. Hormonal Regulation
15. Glucose Regulation
19. Gas Exchange
Theme: Sexuality and Reproduction
Theme: Protection and Movement
27. Tissue Integrity
28. Sensory Perception
Theme: Mood and Cognition
33. Mood and Affect
Theme: Maladaptive Behavior
38. Interpersonal Violence
Unit 3: Professional Nursing and Health Care Concepts
Theme: Nursing Attributes and Roles
39. Professional Identity
40. Clinical Judgment
43. Patient Education
44. Health Promotion
Theme: Care Competencies
48. Technology and Informatics
50. Health Care Quality
Theme: Health Care Delivery
51. Care Coordination
53. Palliative Care
54. Health Disparities
Theme: Health Care Infrastructure
55. Health Care Organizations
56. Health Care Economics
57. Health Policy
58. Health Care Law