Case Studies in Primary Care A Day in the OfficeEdition 2
- GBP: £38.99
- About the Editor
- Table of Contents
Real-world scenarios help you develop clinical reasoning skills for primary care! Case Studies in Primary Care: A Day in the Office, 2nd Edition includes 50 case studies on the most commonly encountered situations in primary care. Demonstrating the kinds of health problems that a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant might see during a typical clinical day, case studies cover patients from various cultures and all ages. You’re asked to analyze data and think critically in reaching accurate diagnoses and planning effective treatment; you can then submit your responses online for grading and instant feedback.
- Real-world scenarios offer the opportunity to analyze clinical situations likely to be encountered in today's primary care settings, providing practice in clinical reasoning skills.
- Day in the Office format presents cases hour by hour, in the way a typical clinical day might unfold.
- Emphasis on problem-based learning helps you to think critically and analyze clinical situations — such as ear infections, diarrhea, and coughing and fever — in order to provide appropriate primary care.
- Six NEW cases are included (for a total of 50), with three focusing on older clients with more complex health challenges, one addressing unplanned pregnancy, and two addressing practice management issues.
- NEW! Emphasis on follow-up care addresses patients coming to the primary care setting from retail clinics, rehabilitation settings, or acute-care settings, and underscores the importance of interprofessional collaboration.
- NEW! Enhanced patient diversity includes cases for all age groups, and reflects a more contemporary appreciation of cultural diversity and gender/gender identity.
- NEW! Updates to all cases ensure that case studies and feedback are consistent with the latest research evidence, clinical practice guidelines, and national and international treatment standards.
- NEW! Online answer submission allows you to write Assessment and Plan answers in the printed book, then submit answers online for grading and feedback.
- NEW! Grading rubrics are provided on the companion Evolve website to help you develop your answers.
- NEW! Introduction explains how to get the most out of the book.
7:45 am CASE #1 Organizing and managing your day NEW!
8:00 am CASE #2 Complete physical exam
8:30 am CASE #3 Incontinence NEW!
9:00 am CASE #4 Unintended pregnancy NEW!
9:15 am CASE #5 Dysuria
9:30 am CASE #6 Head congestion
9:45 am CASE #7 Rash
10:00 am CASE #8 Complete physical exam, headaches
10:45 am CASE# 9 Emergency contraception
11:00 am CASE #10 Well child check
11:30 am CASE #11 Travel
11:45 am CASE #12 Upper respiratory infection
Lunchtime Phone Call CASE #13 Negative PPD
1:00 pm CASE #14 Ear infection
1:15 pm CASE #15 Anemia
1:30 pm CASE #16 Cholesterol follow-up
1:45 pm CASE #17 Contraception
2:00 pm CASE #18 Ankle pain
2:15 pm CASE #19 Acne
2:45 pm CASE #20 Heartburn
3:15 pm CASE #21 Recurrent diarrhea
3:45 pm CASE #22 Head lice
4:00 pm CASE #23 Diabetes follow-up
4:30 pm CASE #24 Scrotal pain
After Office Hours
Add-on CASE #25 Review Pap results (patient not present)
Phone Call #1 at closing CASE #26 Rectal bleeding
Phone Call #2 at closing CASE #27 Worms
8:00 am CASE #28 Sports physical exam
8:30 am CASE #29 Chronic atrial fibrillation, diabetes NEW!
9:00 am CASE #30 Low back pain
9:15 am CASE #31 Hypertension
9:45 am CASE #32 Left great toe pain
10:00 am CASE #33 Complete physical exam
10:45 am CASE #34 Diarrhea
11:00 am CASE #35 Annual GYN, depressed
11:30 am CASE #36 Annual GYN, intimate-partner violence
Review diagnostic report CASE #37 Mammogram report
1:00 pm CASE #38 Allergy shot
1:15 pm CASE #39 Cough, fever, chills
1:30 pm CASE #40 Prenatal check
1:45 pm CASE #41 Urinary incontinence
2:30 pm CASE #42 Eye redness
2:45 pm CASE #43 Scrotal pain
3:00 pm CASE #44 Vaginal discharge
3:15 pm CASE #45 Wrist pain
3:30 pm CASE #46 Confusion
4:00 pm CASE #47 Weight gain NEW!
4:30 pm CASE #48 Difficulty starting urinary stream
4:45 pm CASE #49 Cough
After Office Hours
6:00 pm CASE #50 Staff Meeting to review financials NEW!