Health Professional and Patient Interaction Edition 9
- GBP: £44.99
- About the Editor
- Table of Contents
Easily navigate through the complicated and challenging world of daily on-the-job human interactions, with Health Professional and Patient Interaction, 9th Edition. Covering strategies for effective communication, this time-tested guide offers the tools you need to establish positive patient and interprofessional relationships built on respect. It not only covers respectful actions and good decision-making, but also demonstrates how those decisions directly shape your on-the-job success. Practical examples and authentic scenarios highlight how to apply respect and professionalism to coworkers and patients of various ages and various backgrounds across a wide spectrum of healthcare environments. It’s the foundation you need to effectively and successfully communicate on the job.
- Overall emphasis on respect sets up a basis for building positive relationships with patients and fellow health professionals through good decision-making.
- UNIQUE! Authentic scenarios and examples demonstrate strategies and tools for effective communication with patients of all ages in a wide range of health care settings.
- UNIQUE! Interdisciplinary approach addresses issues that apply to many different healthcare disciplines to help you identify with your specific field as well as recognize themes that apply across the healthcare spectrum.
- Authentic patient cases give you a more personal connection as to how the various communications and actions discussed in the text affect the patient.
- Reflections Questions throughout the text challenge you to apply critical thinking skills and your personal experience to different scenarios.
- Questions for Thought and Discussion at the end of each section help you apply your knowledge to a variety of situations.
- UNIQUE! New chapter on respectful interprofessional collaboration and communication discusses best practices for respectfully interacting with one’s coworkers across the professional health team.
- NEW & UNIQUE! Clearer integration of respect throughout the text underscores its necessity across the many different types of interactions between the health professional and patient.
- NEW! Introduction on how respect impacts a professional’s practice has been added to Part One of the text and covers critical topics such as establishing a professional identity and creating healthy, respectful relationships while being mindful of boundaries within such relationships.
- NEW! Updated photos feature health professionals engaged in authentic clinical activities.
1. Respect in the Professional Role
2. Professional Relatedness Built on Respect
3. Professional Boundaries Guided by Respect
SECTION TWO: Respectful Interaction in the Delivery of Care
4. Respect for Self: One’s Professional Role
5. Respect in a Diverse Society
6. Respect in Care Delivery Systems
SECTION THREE: Respect for the Patient’s Situation
7. Respecting the Patient’s Story
8. Respect for the Patient’s Family and Significant Relationships
SECTION FOUR: Respect through Communication
9. Respectful Interprofessional Communication
10. Respectful Communication in an Information Age
SECTION FIVE: Respectful Interactions Across the Life Span
11. Respectful Interaction: Working with Newborns, Infants, and Children in the Early Years
12. Respectful Interaction: Working with School Age Children and Adolescents
13. Respectful Interaction: Working with Adults
14. Respectful Interaction: Working with Older Adults
SECTION SIX: Some Special Challenges: Creating a Context of Respect
15. Respectful Interaction When the Patient Is Dying
16. Respectful Interaction in Complex Situations