Get a meaningful foundation in radiation therapy with the only text that’s actually written by radiation therapists themselves! With its problem-based approach, Washington & Leaver’s: Principles and Practice of Radiation Therapy, 5th Edition helps you truly understand cancer management, improve your clinical techniques, and apply complex concepts to treatment planning and delivery. Plus, with its new full-color design and up-to-date content that spans chemotherapy techniques, radiation safety, post-image manipulation techniques, and more; this fifth edition gives you all the tools you need to succeed in both coursework and beyond.
- Comprehensive coverage of radiation therapy includes a clear introduction and overview plus complete information on physics, simulation, and treatment planning.
- Chapter objectives, key terms, outlines and summaries in each chapter help you organize information and ensure you understand what is most important.
- End-of-chapter questions and questions to ponder provide opportunity for review and greater challenge.
- Bolded and defined key terms are highlighted at first mention in the text and included in an expanded glossary.
- Spotlight boxes highlight concepts and offer the most important information as it appears in the chapters.
- NEW! Full color design enhances imagery throughout the book as well as augments overall learning.
- NEW! Updated chemotherapy section includes additional cancer biology terms and principles to provide the essential information needed for clinical success.
- NEW! Updated coverage of post-image manipulation techniques includes new material on Cone beam utilization, MR imaging, image guided therapy, and kV imaging.
- NEW! Revised section on radiation safety and misadministration of treatment beams addresses the most up-to-date practice requirements.
- NEW! The latest ASRT Practice Standards and AHA Patient Care Partnership content ensure you are up to date on the latest best practices in the field overall.
Section 1: Introduction
1. Cancer: An Overview
2. The Ethics and Legal Considerations of Cancer Management
3. Patient Assessment
4. Overview of Radiobiology
5. Detection and Diagnosis
6. Medical Imaging in Practice
7. Treatment Delivery Equipment
8. Treatment Procedures
9. Infection Control in Radiation Oncology Facilities
10. Infection Control: Health and Safety
11. Pharmacology and Drug Administration
Section 2: Physics, Simulation, and Treatment Planning
12. Applied Mathematics Review
13. Introduction to Radiation Therapy Physics
14. Aspects of Brachytherapy
15. Advanced Procedure
16. Particle Therapy
17. Radiation Safety and Protection
18. Culture of Safety and Protection
19. Quality Improvement in Radiation Oncology
20. Surface and Sectional Anatomy
21. Computed Tomography Simulation and Design
22. Photon Dosimetry Concepts and Calculations
23. Photon Dose Distributions
24. Electronic Charting and Image Management
Section 3: Practical Applications
25. Bone, Cartilage and Soft Tissue Sarcomas
26. Leukemias and Lymphomas
27. Endocrine System Tumors
28. Respiratory System Tumors
29. Head and Neck Cancers
30. Central Nervous System Tumors
31. Digestive System Tumors
32. Gynecological Tumors
33. Male Reproductive and Genitourinary Tumors
34. Breast Cancer
35. Pediatric Solid Tumors
36. Skin Cancers and Melanoma