This title is not available in digital formatRequest print copy
Once approved, please allow 10-14 days for delivery.
This edition has been extensively rewritten by subject experts from nursing, social work, physiotherapy, gerontology and sociology. The 34 chapters are organised in four sections, which cover:
• Ageing and old age
• Policy Change and the Contexts of Care
• Nursing Older People: independence, autonomy and self-fulfilment
• Current issues and reflections on caring for older people.
- Comprehensive coverage of the theory and practice of caring for older people provides a good basis for effective nursing care.
- The well-written text, clear design and page-layout make the information highly accessible.
- Case histories help relate theory to practice.
- Recommended reading lists and references at the end of each chapter facilitate further study.
- New chapters on major policy changes and organisation of care for older people; sexuality and relationships in later life; and health care for older homeless people.
- Additional photographs bring key concepts to life.
SECTION 1: AGEING AND OLD AGE
What is old age?
Demographic and epidemiological trends in ageing
The psychology of human ageing
The biology of human ageing
SECTION 2: POLICY CHANGE AND CONTEXTS OF CARE
Policy developments in the organization of support for older people
Health and social care for older people in the community
Nursing older people in hospital
Intermediate and long-term care provision for older people
SECTION 3: NURSING OLDER PEOPLE: INDEPENDENCE, AUTONOMY AND SELF-FULFILMENT
Communication challenges and skills
Eyesight and older people
Promoting safe mobility
Care of the foot
Eating and drinking
Maintaining body temperature
Maintaining healthy skin
Sleep and rest
Sexuality and relationships in later life
Pain and older people
Delirium (acute confusional states) in later life
Person-centred dementia care
Depression in older people
Dying, bereavement and loss
Drugs and older people
SECTION 4: CURRENT ISSUES AND REFLECTIONS ON CARING FOR OLDER PEOPLE
Assessment of older people
Health care for older homeless people
Health promotion for older people
Abuse of older people
Carers and lay caring