The fourth edition of Foundations for Health Promotion continues to offer a wealth of information in a friendly, easy-to-read format. This edition has been comprehensively updated and includes a new feature of learning activities with indicative answers to help students and practitioners to reflect on their practice. ‘Pull out’ boxes of case studies and examples help the reader to identify the evidence base for health promotion and illustrate the range of health promotion practice.
Divided into four parts, the book first explains the theoretical concepts of health, health education and health promotion and the ethical and political aspects of practice. The second part explores strategies to promote health and some of the dilemmas that they pose. The third part explores how a range of different settings, such as hospitals and schools, can be oriented towards positive health and well-being. The fourth part focuses on the implementation of health promotion interventions and is designed to help practitioners to reflect on their practice by examining what drives their choice of strategy.
Foundations for Health Promotion, Fourth Edition will be ideal for a range of disciplines including health service professionals in primary and acute settings, those working in local and municipal authorities to promote health and wellbeing, health educators and trainers.
- Comprehensive updating and expansion to reflect recent research findings and major organizational and policy changes
- Clear structure and signposting for ease of reading and study
- Wide choice of examples and illustrative case studies reflect the needs of a variety of professional groups in health services, local and municipal services and education
- Ineractive learning activities with indicative answers help readers consolidate their learning
- Comprehensively updated and expanded to reflect major organizational and policy changes
- Interactive learning activities with indicative answers at the end of each chapter
- 'Pull out' boxes illustrate recent research findings and case studies of practice
1. Concepts of health
2. Influences on health
3. Measuring health
4. Defining health promotion
5. Models and approaches to health promotion
6. Ethical issues in health
7. The politics of health promotionPART 2: STRATEGIES & METHODS
8. Reorienting health services
9. Developing personal skills
10. Strengthening community action
11. Developing healthy public policy
12. Using media in health promotionPART 3: SETTINGS FOR HEALTH PROMOTION
13. Health promotion in schools
14. Health promotion in the workplace
15. Health promotion in neighbourhoods
16. Health promotion in health services
17. Health promotion in prisonsPART 4: IMPLEMENTING HEALTH PROMOTION
18. Assessing health needs
19. Planning health promotion interventions
20. Evaluation in health promotion
"This is a comprehensive, user-friendly book, discussing the foundations for health promotion practice using many relevant practical examples, activities and discussion points... This book would comprise a useful resource for those wishing to develop their health promotion practice by considering the theory, policies and principles behind the practice of health promotion."
Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 2009
''The text includes interactive exercises that are designed to encourage readers to reflect on their values, debate the issues and apply their knowledge and understanding to practice situation. In summary, this is a comprehensive, user-friendly book, discussing the foundations for health promotion practice using many relevant practical examples, activities and discussion points.''
Foundations for Health Promotion, J Naidoo