This is a new edition of a highly popular textbook which presents the fascinating field of reproductive anatomy and physiology in a style which is ideal for those who are new to the subject.
Now with a significantly upgraded artwork program, this helpful volume builds up from the founding principles of human structure and function through to conception, embryological and fetal development and growth, the maternal responses to the growing fetus, parturition and the transition to neonatal life.
Containing the latest scientific advances such as improvements in fertility treatment, postnatal care of premature infants, and the impact of the gestational environment and early nutrition on later health, the volume also includes developments in midwifery policy and practice.
Each chapter comes with Learning Outcome boxes, Case Studies, Key Points and Application to Practice boxes, all of which reinforce learning and help ‘bring the subject to life’.
A well-established introduction to the science underpinning modern midwifery practice, Anatomy and Physiology for Midwives, fourth edition will be ideal for all students of midwifery, as well as midwives returning to practice or undertaking post-graduate study.
- Highly popular midwifery resource that explains and contextualises the principles of reproductive A&P
- Learning Objectives at the start of each chapter help readers structure their study time
- Case Studies ‘bring the subject to life’ and provide an opportunity to reflect on the implications for clinical practice
- Acknowledges the importance of underlying research and integrates theory and practice
- End of chapter Key Points and Application to Practice boxes further reinforce learning
- Helps midwives deal with questions from increasingly informed ‘parents to be’
- More than 200 illustrations help clarify sometimes complex anatomical, physiological and clinical information
- New authorship brings additional expertise into the areas of cell physiology and research, particularly its clinical application to fertility and parturition
- An upgraded artwork program enhances the look and feel of the book
- Contains updates in the fast-moving field of reproductive physiology such as recent advances in fertility treatment, postnatal care of premature infants, and the impact of the gestational environment and early nutrition on later health
- Updated case studies reflect areas of advancing midwifery practice
- Introduction to Physiology
- The Reproductive and Urinary Systems
- Reproductive Cycles
- Sexual Differentiation and Behaviour
- Overview of Human Genetics and Genetic Disorders
- The Placenta
- Embryo Development and Fetal Growth
- Overview of Immunology
- Physiological Adaptation to Pregnancy
- Maternal Nutrition and Health
- Physiology of Parturition
- The Puerperium
- The Transition to Neonatal Life
- Lactation and Infant Nutrition