A concise, superbly illustrated (print + electronic) textbook that brings together a reliable, clear and up to date guide to surface anatomy and its underlying gross anatomy, combined with a practical application of ultrasound and other imaging modalities.
A thorough understanding of surface anatomy remains a critical part of clinical practice, but with improved imaging technology, portable ultrasound is also fast becoming integral to routine clinical examination and effective diagnosis.
This unique new text combines these two essential approaches to effectively understanding clinical anatomy and reflects latest approaches within modern medical curricula. It is tailored specifically to the needs of medical students and doctors in training and will also prove invaluable to the wide range of allied health students and professionals who need a clear understanding of visible and palpable anatomy combined with anatomy as seen on ultrasound.
- Concise text and high quality illustrations, photographs, CT, MRI and ultrasound scans provide a clear, integrated understanding of the anatomical basis for modern clinical practice
- Highly accessible and at a level appropriate for medical students and a wide range of allied health students and professionals
- Reflects current curriculum trend of heavily utilizing living anatomy and ultrasound to learn anatomy
- Supplementary video content showing live ultrasound scans and guided areas of surface anatomy to bring content to life and reflect current teaching and clinical settings
- An international advisory panel appointed to add expertise and ensure relevance to the variety of medical and allied health markets
- Inclusion of latest ultrasound image modalities
- Designed to complement and enhance the highly successful Gray’s family of texts/atlases although also effective as a stand-alone or alongside other established anatomy resources
Anatomical position and planes
Dermatomes and myotomes
Palpation and percussion
Types of transducer
Manipulating the transducer
Short-axis and long-axis views
Appearance of tissues
Anterior muscles of the thorax and lungs
Video 2.1 Colour Doppler ultrasound image sequence of the heart – apical view.
Anterior abdominal musculature
Video 3.1 B-mode ultrasound image sequence of the jejunum – transverse view.
4. Pelvis and perineum
Video 4.1 Colour Doppler ultrasound image sequence of the bladder – mid-sagittal view.
Vertebral canal and spinal nerves
6. Upper limb
Rotator cuff muscles
Video 6.1 B-mode ultrasound image sequence of the long flexor tendons immediately proximal to the wrist – long-axis view.
7. Lower limb
Medial thigh and adductor canal
Posterior thigh and popliteal fossa
Video 7.1 Colour Doppler ultrasound image sequence of the femoral artery and vein in the thigh – long-axis view.
8. Head and neck
Floor of the oral cavity
Posterior triangle of neck
Video 8.1 Colour Doppler ultrasound image sequence of the internal and external carotid arteries (red) and internal jugular vein (blue) in the neck – short-axis view.