Since the first edition of Textbook of Adult Emergency Medicine was published twenty years ago, there has been enormous change in the way emergency care is delivered. This has occurred both in countries where emergency medicine was originally developed and in those where its application was limited because of cost. Emergency medicine is now perceived as the cornerstone of response to acute illness regardless of resources.
This fully revised Fifth Edition provides clear and consistent coverage of this constantly evolving specialty. Building on the success of previous editions it covers all the major topics relevant to the practice of emergency medicine. The book will prove invaluable to professionals working in this setting – including nurse specialists and paramedics – who require concise, highly practical guidance, incorporating the latest best practice and evidence-based guidelines.
This edition comes with an enhanced electronic version with video and self-assessment content, providing a richer learning experience and making rapid reference easier than ever before, anytime, anywhere.
- A comprehensive textbook of adult emergency medicine for trainee doctors - covers all the problems likely to present to a trainee in the emergency department.
- Chapters are highly readable and concise – boxes summarise chapter key points and highlight controversial areas of treatment.
- The content is highly practical, clinically orientated and thoroughly updated in all the core subjects
- There have been major updates in topics such as airway, shock and sepsis where guidelines have changed rapidly.
- The imaging chapters have also evolved with changing practice and improved technology, to be concordant with evidence on the importance of image interpretation by emergency clinicians.
- There are major sections on other skills and issues of key importance to today’s advanced emergency medicine practitioner, such as staffing, overcrowding, triage, patient safety and quality measures.
- In addition, difficult topics such as death and dying, the challenging patient, ethics, giving evidence and domestic violence are covered. Governance, training, research and organisational subjects such as disaster planning and response, humanitarian emergencies and refugee medicine are included to give the reader a framework to understand the complexity of managing major emergency systems of care.
Section 1 Resuscitation
Section 2 Critical Care
Section 3 Trauma
Section 4 Orthopaedic Emergencies
Section 5 Cardiovascular Emergencies
Section 6 Respiratory Emergencies
Section 7 Digestive Emergencies
Section 8 Neurology Emergencies
Section 9 Infectious Disease Emergencies
Section 10 Genitourinary Emergencies
Section 11 Endocrine Emergencies
Section 12 Metabolic Emergencies
Section 13 Haematology Emergencies
Section 14 Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Emergencies
Section 15 Dermatology Emergencies
Section 16 Ocular Emergencies
Section 17 Dental Emergencies
Section 18 Ear, Nose and Throat Emergencies
Section 19 Obstetrics & Gynaecology Emergencies
Section 20 Psychiatric Emergencies
Section 21 Challenging situations
Section 22 Pain Relief
Section 23 Emergency Imaging
Section 24 Environmental Emergencies
Section 25 Toxicology Emergencies
Section 26 Toxinology Emergencies
Section 27 Academic Emergency Medicine
Section 28 Emergency Medicine and the Law
Section 29 Emergency and Medical systems
Section 30 Administration
"The combination of desk-bound hard copy with the portability and expanded content of the ‘e-book’ that moves the fourth edition from the ‘you should have this’ of the third edition to the next level of desirability and utility."
Emergency Medicine Australasia
"As an experienced ED nurse and Emergency Nurse Practitioner, I found the book fascinating and could not put it down. The authors and editors of this text have succeeded in producing a comprehensive guide to Emergency Medicine which would
be a valuable resource for any Emergency Department."
International Emergency Nursing
"it has established itself as one of the leading reference textbooks in the field of adult emergency medicine in Australasia. It is now a mature reference textbook,
which is a credit to the editors and the contributors."
Journal of Military and Veterans’ Health
"This is an excellent evidence based textbook suitable for exam preparation or for reference, which takes you through the complete management of all emergency medicine conditions. I would strongly recommend it to all emergency medicine trainees."
Injury: international Journal of Care of the Injured