Get immediate access to a digital review copy
The print book is not currently available.
The Contact Lens Manual continues to meet the needs of a new generation of optometrists, dispensing opticians, contact lens practitioners and students who require clear and reliable information for fitting a complete range of contact lenses.
The fourth edition of this best-selling classic, now in full colour throughout, provides the most up-to-date guidance in all aspects of today’s lenses in a practical and easy to use manual. Featuring new developments in lens types, care regimes, current practices, and electronic access to brand new video footage as well as a range of learning tools, this manual offers a complete package to help readers expand their lens knowledge, improve fitting and optimise patient care.
- Features updates to all chapters and lens types with a wealth of new information on silicone hydrogels, toric soft lenses, rigid gas-permeable fitting and patient after care.
- Presents a new chapter on dry eyes with expert guidance on treatment and practical management advice.
- Includes an expanded illustration programme and page design with full colour throughout including colour-coded sections and boxes to highlight key information for easier learning.
- Electronic access to brand new video footage of lens and eye care regimes, along with over 100 clinical photographs, images from the book, simulations and calculation tools.
How to use this book
Section 1: Preliminaries
3. Record Keeping
4. Consulting room procedures and equipment
5. Preliminary considerations and examination
6. Dry eyes and the tear film
7. Lens types and materials
Section 2: Rigid Gas Permeable Lens Fitting
8. Principles of rigid lens design
9. Development of rigid lens design
10. Rigid lens selection and fitting
11. Fluorescein patterns and fitting
12. Aspheric lenses
13. Rigid lens specification and verification
14. Orthokeratology and reverse geometry lenses
Section 3: Hydrogel and Silicone Hydrogel Fitting
15. Soft lens fitting and design
16. Soft lens fitting characteristics
17. Other soft lens fitting considerations
18. Disposable lenses and frequent (planned) replacement
19. Silicone Hydrogels
20. Soft lens specification and verification
Section 4: Complex Lenses
22. Toric rigid lenses
23. Toric soft lenses
24. Lenses for presbyopia
25. Special lens features and applications
Section 5: Management
26. Care systems
27. Lens collection and patient instruction
29. Aftercare Complications
30. Additional Aftercare Procedures
Section 6: Children and Therapeutic Lenses
31. Contact lenses and children
32. Therapeutic and Complex Lens Designs
Glossary of contact lens-related terms
From the reviews of previous editions:
"The format is an intensely practical, hands-on guide to fitting all lens types, from straightforward sphericals through to sealed sclerals… Each chapter is punctuated with different boxes containing practical advice, general advice, rules of thumb and warnings…Unlike most textbooks, it would be quite possible to pick up this book and read it from cover to cover. In fact, I can recommend it." Optometry Today