Now fully revised and updated, Dr. Barbara Gladson's Pharmacology for Rehabilitation Professionals, 2nd Edition, remains your best resource for understanding how various drugs affect patients during therapeutic exercise and rehabilitation. Using case studies and engaging activities, it helps you apply essential pharmacology information directly to rehabilitation practice. New chapters, a new reader-friendly design, new artwork, and more enhance the text and bring you up to date with both basic pharmacologic principles as well as the mechanism of action and side effects of drugs commonly seen in rehabilitation practice.
- Helps you develop effective exercise programs by providing drug/exercise interactions from a pharmacokinetics perspective. You willl clearly see the implications for exercise for each specific condition and medication.
- Presents case studies in every chapter that demonstrate the effects of various drugs on the diagnosis, prognosis, and interventions in physical therapy, so you can more easily monitor patients for adverse drug effects.
- Features engaging activities in every chapter, ranging from patient interviews to challenging, real-life questions, helping you retain and apply what you've learned.
- Encourages you to use the latest research in your clinical decision making with evidence-based content incorporated throughout.
- Simplifies the complex topic of pharmacokinetics so that you will fully understand how it affects your individual patients and your care plans.
- Guides you in using the Internet for online drug information with references to specific sites, and when and how to use them to their fullest potential.
- Discusses lifespan considerations such as age, physical differences, and obesity, as well as the latest information on diabetes and glucose testing.
- A new chapter on Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Pharmacology covers popular herbal and alternative products used to promote health, as well as herbal remedies used during menopause and in the treatment of cancer, helping you recognize the impact of herbals on your patients' symptoms and response to therapy.
- A new chapter on Drugs Affecting the Integumentary System discusses skin disorders and their pharmacological treatment, prophylactic and debriding agents, antiseptics, and more.
- A new chapter on Nutrition and Pharmacology provides current information on vitamins and minerals, enteral and parenteral nutrition, and food and drug interactions -- important topics that affect rehabilitation outcomes.
- Updated drug information and new drugs are added throughout the text, keeping you up to date with current pharmacological information as it pertains to rehabilitation.
2. Pharmacodynamics: Mechanisms of Action
3. Pharmacokinetics and Drug Dosing
4. Adverse Drug Reactions
Section Two: Autonomic and Cardiovascular Pharmacology
5. Drugs Acting on the Autonomic Nervous System
6. Antihypertensive Agents
7. Drug Therapy of Coronary Atherosclerosis and Its Repercussions
8. Drug Therapy for Congestive Heart Failure and Cardiac Arrhythmias
Section Three: Treatment for Pulmonary and Gastrointestinal Disorders
9. Drug Therapy for Pulmonary Disorders
10. Drugs for Gastrointestinal Disorders
Section Four: Pain Control
11. Anesthetic Agents
12. Drugs for the Treatment of Pain and Inflammation
13. Drug treatment for Arthritis Related Conditions
Section Five: Endocrine Pharmacology
14. Selective Topics in Endocrine Pharmacology
15. Drug Treatment for Osteoporosis and Diabetes
Section Six: Psychopharmacology
16. Drug Treatment for Depression and Anxiety
17. Drug Treatment for Schizophrenia and Bipolar Illness
Section Seven: Drugs Affecting the Nervous System
18. Drugs for Epilepsy and Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
19. Antispasticity Medications and Skeletal Muscle Relaxants
20. Pharmacologic Management of Degenerative Neurologic Disorders
Section Eight: Drugs Affecting the Integumentary System
21. Integumentary System - NEW
Section Nine: Infectious Disease
22. Antimicrobial Agents
23. Antiviral Agents and Selected Drugs for Fungal Infections
Section Ten: Chemotherapeutic Drugs and Agents Acting on the Immune System
24. Chemotherapy and Immune Modulation
Section Eleven: The Relationship between Drug Therapy and Exercise
25. The Interaction between Selective Cardiopulmonary and Diabetic Medications and Exercise
Section Twelve: Special Topics
26. Nutrition and Pharmacology - NEW
27. Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Pharmacology - NEW
"This is an excellent resource for students in doctoral programs or for experienced clinicians who need a reference for pharmacologic considerations in rehabilitation. This book is appropriate for all areas of physical therapy practice, and I can recommend it without reservation. The second edition is justified because of the continued evolution of pharmacology and the need for updates on medications. This is an important tool to help therapists improve patient-centered care and be more cognizant of adverse drug interactions."
- Timothy McMahon, MPT (Mercer University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences)
c/o Doody Enterprises Inc.
"This textbook on pharmacology is comprehensive, covering most areas of drug therapy most likely to be encountered by physiothrapists...they cover areas such as the scientific priniciples of pharmacology with chapters on pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and adverse drug reactions; autonomic and cardiovascular pharmacology with the ttherapeutic areas in which the treatment of so much pharmacological treatment contributes...In conclusion while this book may be of value to physiotherapists as a useful reference work that covers most areas of pharmacology."
In Touch, Summer 2012
0-323-06362-4, 978-0-323-06362-3, Mosby: Mosby's Drug Reference for Health Professions, 2e, May-2009
978-0-323-07403-2, Mosby: Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions, 9e, Sep-2012
0-323-06386-1, 978-0-323-06386-9, Mosby: Mosby's Field Guide to Physical Therapy, May-2009
0-323-06405-1, 978-0-323-06405-7, Natural Standard & Ulbricht: Natural Standard Medical Conditions Reference, An Integrative Approach, Dec-2008
978-0-323-07295-3, Natural Standard: Natural Standard Herb & Supplement Guide, An Evidence-Based Reference, Jan-2010