Foundations of Biomaterials Engineering provides readers with an introduction to biomaterials engineering. With a strong focus on the essentials of materials science, the book also examines the physiological mechanisms of defense and repair, tissue engineering and the basics of biotechnology.
An introductory section covers materials, their properties, processing and engineering methods. The second section, dedicated to Biomaterials and Biocompatibility, deals with issues related to the use and application of the various classes of materials in the biomedical field, particularly within the human body, the mechanisms underlying the physiological processes of defense and repair, and the phenomenology of the interaction between the biological environment and biomaterials.
The last part of the book addresses two areas of growing importance: Tissue Engineering and Biotechnology. This book is a valuable resource for researchers, students and all those looking for a comprehensive and concise introduction to biomaterials engineering.
- Offers a one-stop source for information on the essentials of biomaterials and engineering
- Useful as an introduction or advanced reference on recent advances in the biomaterials field
- Developed by experienced international authors, incorporating feedback and input from existing customers
- Ratner, Biomaterials Science 3e, Academic Press, 2012, 9780123746269, $129.95
- Bandhyopadhyay, Characterization of Biomaterials, Elsevier, 2013, 9780124158009, $179.95
- Blitterswijk, Tissue Engineering 2e, Academic Press, 2014, 9780124201453, $200.00
Can be used as a broader reference by professionals whose daily work is rather narrowly defined – meaning they don't necessarily have this breadth of knowledge at their fingertips. Researchers, graduate/post graduate students and instructors of biomaterials/ biomedical engineering will also find the book useful