Introduction to Optimum Design, Fourth Edition, carries on the tradition of the most widely used textbook in engineering optimization and optimum design courses. It is intended for use in a first course on engineering design and optimization at the undergraduate or graduate level in engineering departments of all disciplines, with a primary focus on mechanical, aerospace, and civil engineering courses.
Through a basic and organized approach, the text describes engineering design optimization in a rigorous, yet simplified manner, illustrates various concepts and procedures with simple examples, and demonstrates their applicability to engineering design problems.
Formulation of a design problem as an optimization problem is emphasized and illustrated throughout the text using Excel and MATLAB as learning and teaching aids. This fourth edition has been reorganized, rewritten in parts, and enhanced with new material, making the book even more appealing to instructors regardless of course level.
- Includes basic concepts of optimality conditions and numerical methods that are described with simple and practical examples, making the material highly teachable and learnable
- Presents applications of optimization methods for structural, mechanical, aerospace, and industrial engineering problems
- Provides practical design examples that introduce students to the use of optimization methods early in the book
- Contains chapter on several advanced optimum design topics that serve the needs of instructors who teach more advanced courses
1. Introduction to Design Optimization2. Optimum Design Problem Formulation3. Graphical Optimization and Basic Concepts4. Optimum Design Concepts: Optimality Conditions5. More on Optimum Design Concepts: Optimality Conditions6. Optimum Design with Excel Solver7. Optimum Design with MATLAB8. Linear Programming Methods for Optimum Design9. More on Linear Programming Methods for Optimum Design10. Numerical Methods for Unconstrained Optimum Design11. More on Numerical Methods for Unconstrained Optimum Design12. Numerical Methods for Constrained Optimum Design13. More on Numerical Methods for Constrained Optimum Design14. Practical Applications of Optimization15. Discrete Variable Optimum Design Concepts and Methods16. Genetic Algorithms for Optimum Design17. Multi-Objective Optimum Design Concepts and Methods18. Global Optimization Concepts and Methods19. Nature-Inspired Search Methods20. Additional Topics on Optimum Design
- Gao, Flexible Manipulators: Modeling, Analysis and Optimum Design, Academic Press, 264 pp., Apr 2012, 9780123970367, $125.00
- Venkateshan and Swaminathan, Computational Methods in Engineering, Academic Press, 352 pp., Jan 2014, 9780124167025, $99.95
- Chang, Design Theory and Methods Using CAD/CAE, Academic Press, 300 pp., Jul 2014, 9780123985125, $49.95
Upper level undergraduate and graduate engineering students and practitioners studying optimization and engineering design