Digital controllers are part of nearly all modern personal, industrial, and transportation systems. Every senior or graduate student of electrical, chemical, or mechanical engineering should therefore be familiar with the basic theory of digital controllers. This new text covers the fundamental principles and applications of digital control engineering, with emphasis on engineering design.
Fadali and Visioli cover analysis and design of digitally controlled systems and describe applications of digital control in a wide range of fields. With worked examples and Matlab applications in every chapter and many end-of-chapter assignments, this text provides both theory and practice for those coming to digital control engineering for the first time, whether as a student or practicing engineer.
- This new edition covers new topics such as Model Predictive Control and Linear Matrix Inequalities.
- To engage students, it has more illustrations and simple examples; the mathematical notation is reduced
where possible, and it also includes intermediate mathematical steps in derivations.
- Companion website features resources for instructors, including Powerpoint slides and solutions.
- Extensive use of CAD Packages: Matlab and Simulink sections at the end of each chapter show how to
implement concepts from the chapter.
- Contains review material to aid understanding of digital control analysis and design.
- Includes some advanced material to make it suitable for an introductory graduate level class or for two
quarters at the senior/graduate level.
- The mathematics background required for understanding most of the book is based on what can be
reasonably expected from the average electrical, chemical, or mechanical engineering senior.
- Vamvoudakis and Jagannathan, Control of Complex Systems: Theory and Applications, Butterworth-Heinemann, Aug 2016, 9780128052464, $200.00.
- Ellis, Control System Design Guide: Using Your Computer to Understand and Diagnose Feedback Controllers, 4th edition, Butterworth-Heinemann, May 2012, 9780123859204, $89.95
- Wilson, The Circuit Designer's Companion, Newnes, 3e, Jan 2012, 9780080971384, $74.95
Undergraduate and graduate students in digital controls. Control engineers