AWHONN's Core Curriculum for Maternal-Newborn Nursing, 6th Edition, the definitive resource for nurses taking certification examinations, provides the most up-to-date, accurate information available on today's maternal-newborn nursing practice. Its concise outline format covers concepts of reproduction, fetal development, normal pregnancy, intrapartum and postpartum periods, the normal newborn, complications in the mother and newborn, and ethical issues. With a fresh focus on patient safety and revised case studies, this clinical guide and certification prep tool features AWHONN-endorsed content for the practice of maternal-newborn nursing.
- AWHONN-endorsed content makes this the definitive resource to prepare for current practice and specialty nursing certification examinations.
- Content updates throughout provide the most current practice guidelines to promote quality care.
- Bulleted outline format allows for quick review and reference for the management of pregnant women and their newborns through all stages of care.
- Contemporary content covers the full scope of maternal-newborn nursing practice, incorporating information on families, ethics, legal issues, research, case management, genetics, and the transition to home and parenthood.
- ENHANCED! Focus on patient safety draws attention to developing expertise related to safe nursing practice.
- UPDATED! Case studies and review questions reflect the realities of practice and provide sample questions to help you prepare for certification examinations.
- UPDATED! Content on medication safety, including high-alert medications, emphasizes critical drug information that must be considered to provide safe patient care.
1 Reproductive Anatomy, Physiology, and the Menstrual Cycle
3 Fetal and Placental Development and Functioning
SECTION 2 Maternal-Fetal Well-Being
4 Age-Related Concerns
5 Prenatal Testing and Antepartum Fetal Surveillance
6 Environmental Hazards
SECTION 3 Antepartum Period
7 Perinatal Diversity
8 Physiology of Pregnancy
9 Psychology of Pregnancy
SECTION 4 Intrapartum Period
10 Essential Forces and Factors in Labor
11 Normal Childbirth
12 Intrapartum Fetal Assessment
SECTION 5 Postpartum Period
13 Physical and Psychologic Changes After Childbirth
SECTION 6 The Newborn Period
16 Transitional Care of the Newborn
17 The Infant at Risk
SECTION 7 Complications of Childbearing
18 Intimate Partner Violence
19 Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy
20 Maternal Infections
21 Hemorrhagic Disorders
22 Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders
23 Management of Non-Obstetrical Surgery and Trauma in Pregnancy
24 Perinatal Substance Use
25 Other Medical Complications
26 Labor and Delivery at Risk
27 Postpartum Complications
SECTION 8 Ethics and Issues