Master pulmonary function testing procedures — and prepare for PFT credentialing exams! Ruppel's Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing, 12th Edition provides comprehensive coverage of common pulmonary function tests, testing techniques, and the pathophysiology that may be evaluated by each test. It also includes information on equipment, measurement software, reference values, and quality assurance, so you can develop the testing skills you need to find and assess lung abnormalities and conditions such as asthma, COPD, and emphysema. Written by Carl D. Mottram, a well-known expert in pulmonary function procedures, this bestselling guide helps you get accurate test results every time.
- Entry- and Advanced-Level objectives prepare you for success on the NBRC’s Pulmonary Function Technologist credentialing examinations and follow the content guidelines of the CPFT and RPFT exam matrices from the National Board for Respiratory Care.
- How To boxes provide step-by-step guidelines to performing pulmonary function tests, taking the guesswork out of completing accurate and result-producing tests.
- Case studies provide problem-solving challenges for real-life patient scenarios, including each case history, PFT testing results, a technologist’s comments, and questions and answers.
- PFT Tips highlight and reinforce the most important pulmonary function testing information in every chapter.
- Convenient study features include key terms, chapter outlines, learning objectives, chapter summary points, suggested readings, a glossary, and self-assessment questions.
- Authoritative, all-in-one resource eliminates the need to search for information in other sources.
- Criteria for acceptability and repeatability are included in each test section, as well as interpretive strategies to help you adhere to recognized testing standards.
- NEW! Indications for Pulmonary Function Testing chapter Includes updates in alignment with the 2019 ATS-ERS Spirometry Standards.
- NEW! Spirometry chapter adds updated Information per the new 2019 ATS-ERS Spirometry Technical Standard.
- NEW! Diffusing Capacity Tests chapter is aligned with the 2014 ERS-ATS Technical Standard and the 2017 Global Lung Initiative (GLI) DLCO reference set.
- NEW! Bronchoprovocation Challenge Testing chapter is updated with the 2017 ERS Methacholine Challenge Technical Standard and 2018 ERS Indirect Bronchial Challenge Testing (e.g., mannitol, exercise, hyperventilation, cold air).
- NEW! Specialized Test Regimens chapter includes 2018 ATS Reference Values in Children.
- NEW! Pulmonary Function Testing Equipment chapter is updated with new equipment and vendors.
- NEW! Quality Systems in the Pulmonary Function Laboratory chapter is updated with the newest version of the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institutes (CLSI) Quality Management System (QMS01), which is the basis for any laboratory quality program, and a new table of recommended target CVs for Biological control (BioQC).
- NEW! Reference Values and Interpretation Strategies chapter adds new GLI (Global Lung Function Initiative) reference sets for Diffusing of the Lung and Lungs Volumes.
Chapter 1 Indications for Pulmonary Function Testing
Chapter 2 Spirometry
Chapter 3 Diffusing Capacity Tests
Chapter 4 Lung Volumes, Airway Resistance and Gas Distribution Tests
Chapter 5 Ventilation and Ventilatory Control Test
Chapter 6 Blood Gases and Related Tests
Chapter 7 Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing and Field Tests
Chapter 8 Pediatric Pulmonary Function Testing
Chapter 9 Bronchoprovocation Challenge Testing
Chapter 10 Specialized Test Regimens
Chapter 11 Pulmonary Function Testing Equipment
Chapter 12 Quality Systems in the Pulmonary Function Laboratory
Chapter 13 Reference Values and Interpretation Strategies
Appendix A Answers to Self -Assessment Questions
Respiratory care students at the technician and therapist level; respiratory care practitioners (CRTs and RRTs) as a study and review text for the specialty board exams and as a problem-solving reference on the job; Pulmonary Function Technologists (CPFTs and RPFTs) as a laboratory guidebook for establishing procedure protocol
•Respiratory care students: Total domestic student’s annual enrollment is 27,600 for both 2 and 4 year RT programs.•Practicing respiratory therapists: Total domestic practicing therapists is 130,000.