Prepare for practice with this essential text dedicated to Canadian legal and ethical issues! Focused solely on the ever-changing, and often complex health care landscape in Canada, Ethical & Legal Issues in Canadian Nursing, 5th Edition expertly covers the often intertwined ethical and legal issues that health care professionals face today. This edition includes discussions of Indigenous legal and ethical perspectives, the legal and ethical challenges related to SARS-CoV-2, case studies for the Next-Generation NCLEX®, and much more. Plus, the clear and straightforward writing style presents information just as you will encounter it in your day-to-day practice, ensuring you’re even more prepared to make an impact from the start!
- Clear and straightforward writing style in a visually appealing design, presents information in the way that you will encounter ethical and legal issues in day-to-day practice.
- Comprehensive coverage of the latest legislation, nursing standards, guidelines, references, trends, principles, theories, and models.
- Case scenarios, tables, and figures help to illustrate complex topics and pertinent concepts.
- Case scenarios encourage critical thinking, discussion, and debate.
- Cross-country examples of regulatory and legal issues cover a large number of provinces and territories.
- Critical Thinking: Discussion Points at the end of every chapter test your comprehension.
- Key terms are indicated in bold type and are further defined and explained in the Glossary.
- UPDATED! Thoroughly revised and expanded coverage of top-of-mind ethical and legal topics concerning vulnerable populations; Indigenous (Joyce Echaquan Inquiry), refugees, and LGBTQ2 persons; advancing technologies and telemedicine; evolving scopes of practice of various categories of nurses; Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD); and much more.
- NEW! Coverage of Indigenous legal and ethical perspectives and ways of knowing and understanding related to health, health care, and decision making.
- NEW! Up-to-date information on legal and ethical challenges in the time of SARS-CoV-2.
- NEW! Case studies for the Next-Generation NCLEX® on the companion Evolve website.
2 Ethical Theories: Their Meaning for Nurses
3 Guiding Ethical Decision Making: Resources for Nurses
4 The Canadian Legal System
5 Regulation of the Nursing Profession
6 Informed Consent: Rights and Obligations
7 The Nurse’s Legal Accountabilities: Professional Competence, Misconduct, Malpractice, and Nursing Documentation
8 Complexity at the End of Life: Ethical and Legal Challenges
9 Ethical and Legal Issues Related to Advancing Science and Technology
10 Safeguarding Patient Rights
11 Perspectives on the Rights of Nurses
12 Ethical Issues in Leadership, the Organization, and Approaches to the Delivery of Care