Learn how to handle the legal and ethical challenges you will encounter in healthcare practice! Comprehensive yet easy to understand, Legal and Ethical Issues for Health Professionals, 5th Edition provides a guide to legal concepts and ethical principles and how they are applied in common healthcare scenarios. Content includes key topics such as the legal system, bioethical issues, employment laws, torts, and medical malpractice and liability, as well as current issues such as medical marijuana, the opioid crisis, gender identity, and public health and immunization policies. Questions in each chapter ask you to think critically as you relate concepts to real-world situations. Updated to meet the needs of today’s workplace, this text prepares you to fulfill the moral and professional responsibilities of the healthcare provider.
- Case studies reflect the issues faced in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Specialty practice cases provide practical application of legal and ethical issues in specialties such as medical assisting, MIBC, and pharm tech.
- What If? boxes present ethical dilemmas and help you apply concepts to real-life scenarios.
- Internet Activities at the end of every chapter suggest related topics for further research and study.
- Chapter objectives and key terms are listed at the beginning of each chapter, providing learning goals and definitions of important terminology.
- Relate to Practice boxes help you respond to situations that may occur in healthcare practice.
- Self-Reflection Questions challenge you to analyze and evaluate various legal and ethical issues.
- NEW! Mandatory Reporting and Public Duties in Healthcare chapter covers public health law, including the role of state and federal health agencies in managing infectious diseases, emergencies, chronic diseases, and injury prevention.
- NEW! Conflict Management chapter addresses aspects of this important workplace topic.
2. Basis and Principles of Ethics
3. Bioethical Issues in Healthcare
4. Healthcare Standards and Compliance
5. Torts in Healthcare
6. Medical Malpractice and Liability
7. Healthcare Business and Operations
8. Workplace Issues and Employment Laws
9. Medical Records and HIPAA
10. Mandatory Reporting and Public Duties in Healthcare NEW!
11. Conflict Management NEW!
12. Birth and Life
13. Death and Dying
14. Key Trends in Healthcare Law and Ethics
512,726 students in a wide variety of health professional fields. (IPEDS 2017)