Designed to support the trusted content in Kinn’s The Clinical Medical Assistant, 15th Edition, this study guide is an essential review and practice companion to reinforce key concepts, encourage critical thinking, and help you apply medical assisting content. This robust companion guide offers a wide range of activities to strengthen your understanding of common clinical skills — including certification preparation questions, a review of medical terminology and anatomy, and application exercises. Trusted for more than 65 years as a key part of the journey from classroom to career, it also features competency checklists to accurately measure your progress and performance from day one until you land your first job as a medical assistant.
- Comprehensive coverage of all clinical procedures complies with accreditation requirements.
- Approximately 135 step-by-step procedure checklists enable you to assess and track your performance for every procedure included in the textbook.
- Chapter-by-chapter correlation with the textbook allows you to easily follow core textbook competencies.
- Matching and acronym activities reinforce your understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and chapter vocabulary.
- Short-answer and fill-in-the-blank exercises strengthen your comprehension of key concepts.
- Multiple-choice questions help you prepare for classroom and board exams.
- Workplace application exercises promote critical thinking and job readiness before you enter practice.
- Internet exercises offer ideas for expanded and project-based learning.
- NEW! Content aligns to 2022 medical assisting educational competencies.
- NEW! Advanced Clinical Skills unit features three new chapters on IV therapy, radiology basics, and radiology positioning to support expanded medical assisting functions.
- NEW! Coverage of telemedicine, enhanced infection control related to COVID-19, and catheterization.
- NEW! Procedures address IV therapy, limited-scope radiography, applying a sling, and coaching for stool collection.
- EXPANDED! Information on physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- EXPANDED! Content on specimen collection, including wound swab, nasal, and nasopharyngeal collections.
Chapter 2 Health Records
Chapter 3 Introduction to Medical Terminology and Anatomy
Chapter 4 Infection Control
Chapter 5 Vital Signs
Chapter 6 Physical Examination
Chapter 7 Patient Coaching
Chapter 8 Nutrition and Health Promotion
Chapter 9 Surgical Supplies and Instruments
Chapter 10 Assisting with Surgical Procedures
Chapter 11 Principles of Electrocardiography
Chapter 12 Medical Emergencies
Chapter 13 Principles of Pharmacology
Chapter 14 Pharmacology Math
Chapter 15 Administering Medications
Chapter 16 Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology
Chapter 17 Dermatology
Chapter 18 Allergy and Infectious Disease
Chapter 19 Gastroenterology
Chapter 20 Orthopedics and Rheumatology
Chapter 21 Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Chapter 22 Neurology
Chapter 23 Behavioral Health
Chapter 24 Endocrinology
Chapter 25 Cardiology
Chapter 26 Pulmonology
Chapter 27 Urology and Male Reproduction
Chapter 28 Obstetrics and Gynecology
Chapter 29 Pediatrics
Chapter 30 Geriatrics
Chapter 31 Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory
Chapter 32 Urinalysis
Chapter 33 Blood Collection
Chapter 34 Analysis of Blood
Chapter 35 Microbiology and Immunology
Chapter 36 Intravenous Therapy
Chapter 37 Radiology Basics
Chapter 38 Positioning for Radiology
Chapter 39 Skills and Strategies
Medical Assisting students
- Estimated annual enrollment 145,000 (IPEDS)
- 403 programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
395 programs accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)