The unique and award-winning Unofficial Guides series is a collaboration between senior students, junior doctors and specialty experts. This combination of contributors understands what is essential to excel on your course, in exams and in practice – as well as the importance of presenting information in a clear, fun and engaging way. Packed with hints and tips from those in the know, when you are in a hurry and need a study companion you can trust, reach for an Unofficial Guide.
The Unofficial Guide to ECGs is a straightforward yet complete guide to interpreting ECGs and easily translating this knowledge to clinical contexts.
Edited by experts in cardiology, the book systematically goes through how an ECG is performed and what every part of the ECG tracing represents. It covers common conditions associated with ECG changes and explains the underlying pathophysiology of why these changes occur. An extensive collection of 40 clinical cases with fully annotated ECGs and 120 MCQs are included to allow readers to practise ECG interpretation.
Primarily aimed at medical students, this new book will also be useful for all those who may need to brush up on ECGs, including junior doctors, nurses, paramedics, physicians’ associates and advanced nurse practitioners.
- Clearly defined and systematic structure that is accessible to new learners
- Explanations for every component of an ECG tracing and their changes to aid understanding and memorisation
- 40 cases with real-life ECGs, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced, and clinically-focused questions for the reader to test themselves
- Real-life fully annotated ECG images to clearly highlight features of ECG changes
- 120 MCQs with detailed explanations of correct and incorrect answers alongside annotated and unannotated ECGs
- A handy quick reference guide at the end of book covers ECG basics and important changes for rapid revision on the wards
2 Rate and Rhythm
3 The Cardiac Axis
4 P Wave
5 PR Segment
6 QRS Complex
7 QT Interval
8 ST Segment
9 T wave
10 Abnormal Extra Waves
12 Quick Reference Guide