The unique and award-winning Unofficial Guides series is a collaboration between senior students, junior doctors and specialty experts. This combination of contributors understands what is essential to excel on your course, in exams and in practice – as well as the importance of presenting information in a clear, fun and engaging way. Packed with hints and tips from those in the know, when you are in a hurry and need a study companion you can trust, reach for an Unofficial Guide.
The Unofficial Guide Medical and Surgical Emergencies offers a collection of common clinical emergency scenarios. It walks you through the practical steps of the decision-making process, from taking a referral through to making a management plan and prescribing – all designed to ensure safe and best practice.
With plenty of tips to support your clinical reasoning, real time examples, and a focus on initial management before a diagnosis is clear, this book is ideal for medical students as well as junior doctors wanting a quick reference guide or revision aid.
- Clear, simple, practical tips for managing common emergency scenarios
- Describes patient management through real time thought processes of a doctor making decisions
- Key clinical and prescribing tips to improve safety
- Covers a wide range of cases, including fluid prescriptions, interpreting blood test results and acute management of emergencies
- Covers practical essentials such as clerking, effective communication and handover tips
- High quality images to illustrate important clinical findings
2 Data Interpretation
5 Recognition and Assessment of the Acutely Unwell Patient
11 Elderly Care Medicine
12 Haematology and Oncology
16 Palliative Care
17 General Surgery
18 Renal and Urology
21 Ear, Nose and Throat