Take an exciting journey to success in your LPN/LVN career! Emphasizing leadership and clinical judgment skills, Success in Practical / Vocational Nursing: From Student to Leader, 10th Edition helps you navigate your way through nursing school, examinations, the job search, and success in professional practice. It describes the building blocks essential to a successful career, such as critical thinking, ethics, effective communication, and an understanding of your role in the nursing process. Also useful are review questions to help you get ready for the NCLEX-PN® examination. Written by educators Lisa Falgiatore Carroll and Janyce Collier, this edition adds new insight into the ways self-empowerment can help you achieve positive outcomes in class and on the job.
- Basic career information includes the value of the LPN, workforce trends, state regulations governing LPN practice, and insight into safe practice and NCLEX-PN® success.
- Learning features in each chapter include objectives and key terms with phonetic pronunciations, with definitions in the text and in the glossary.
- Storytelling narratives at the beginning of specific chapters use real-life scenarios to provide context for the topic.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX-PN® Examination section at the end of each chapter includes key points, critical thinking scenarios, additional learning resources, and review questions with answers at the back of the book.
- Test-taking and interview preparation tips prepare students to take the NCLEX-PN Examination and guide you through the job search, applications, and interviews — including electronic resumes.
- Critical Thinking boxes provide opportunities to practice problem solving.
- Coordinated Care boxes develop leadership and management skills with hints, tools, and activities.
- Keep in Mind boxes introduce the underlying theme of each chapter.
- Professional Pointers boxes give advice on nursing best practices in practice settings.
- Try This! boxes challenge students to imagine, visualize, and think outside the box.
- Full-color design makes this text visually appealing and easy to read.
- References cite evidence-based information and can be found in the back of the book.
- NEW! Next-Generation NCLEX® (NGN) Examination-style questions are provided at the end of each chapter.
- NEW! Empowerment boxes introduce tools that can affect positive outcomes in class, clinicals, and professional practice.
- NEW! Updated content includes delegation, preparing students for leadership positions immediately upon graduation, and the latest on clinical judgment.
1 Personal Resources of an Adult Learner
2 Academic Resources (Study Skills and Test Strategies)
3 Community Resources
UNIT II BUILDING BLOCKS FOR YOUR CAREER
4 How Practical/Vocational Nursing Evolved: 1836 to the Present
5 Critical Thinking: A Lifelong Journey
6 Ethics Applied to Nursing: Personal Versus Professional Ethics
7 Nursing and the Law: What Are the Rules?
UNIT III RELATIONSHIP-CENTERED CARE
8 Effective Communication: Health Care Team, Clients, Faculty, and Peers
9 Assertiveness: Your Responsibility
10 Cultural Uniqueness, Sensitivity, and Competence
11 Spiritual Needs, Spiritual Caring, and Religious Differences
UNIT IV HEALTH SYSTEM-BASED CARE
12 The Nursing Process: Your Role
13 Nursing Theory, Research, and Evidence-Based Practice
14 The Interdisciplinary Health Care Team: The Role of the Practical/Vocational Nurse
15 Health Care Settings: Continuum of Care
16 The Health Care System: Financing, Issues, and Trends
UNIT V THE LPN/LVN: YOUR ROLE TODAY AND IN THE FUTURE
17 Collaboration: Leading and Managing
18 Workforce Trends: How to Find a First Job You Will Love
19 Licensure and Regulation: Becoming Licensed and Understanding Your State Nurse Practice Act
APPENDIX A, ANSWER KEY FOR REVIEW QUESTIONS FOR THE NATIONAL COUNCIL LICENSURE EXAMINATION FOR LICENSED PRACTICAL/LICENSED VOCATIONAL NURSES (NCLEX-PN®)