Enhance patient care with the help of aromatherapy! Clinical Aromatherapy: Essential Oils in Healthcare is the first and only peer-reviewed clinical aromatherapy book in the world and features a foreword by Dr. Oz. Each chapter is written by a PhD nurse with post-doctoral training in research and then peer reviewed by named experts in their field. This clinical text is the must-have resource for learning how to effectively incorporate aromatherapy into clinical practice. This new third edition takes a holistic approach as it examines key facts and topical issues in aromatherapy practice and applies them within a variety of contexts and conditions. This edition also features updated information on aromatherapy treatments, aromatherapy organizations, essential oil providers, and more to ensure you are fully equipped to provide patients with the best complementary therapy available.
- Expert peer-reviewed information spans the entire book. All chapters have been written by a PhD nurse with post-doctoral training in research and then peer reviewed by named experts in their field.
- Introduction to the principles and practice of aromatherapy covers contraindications, toxicity, safe applications, and more.
- Descriptions of real-world applications illustrate how aromatherapy works in various clinical specialties.
- Coverage of aromatherapy in psychiatric nursing provides important information on depression, psychosis, bipolar, compulsive addictive, addiction and withdrawal.
- In-depth clinical section deals with the management of common problems, such as infection and pain, that may frequently be encountered on the job.
- Examples of specific oils in specific treatments helps readers directly apply book content to everyday practice.
- Evidence-based content draws from thousands of references.
- NEW! First and only totally peer-reviewed, evidence-based, clinical aromatherapy book in the world.
- NEW Chapter on integrative Healthcare documenting how clinical aromatherapy has been integrated into hospitals and healthcare in USA, UK and elsewhere.
- NEW Chapter on the M Technique: the highly successful method of gentle structured touch pioneered by Jane Buckle that is used in hospitals worldwide.
- All chapters updated with substantial additional references and tables.
SECTION I: OVERVIEW
1: Evolution of Aromatherapy
2: How Essential Oils Work
3: Basic Plant Taxonomy, Basic Essential Oil Chemistry, Extraction, Biosynthesis and Analysis
4: Essential Oil Toxicity and Contraindications
5: Aromatherapy and Integrative Healthcare
6: The M Technique®
SECTION II: CLINICAL USE OF AROMATHERAPY
9: Nausea and Vomiting
10: Pain and Inflammation
11: Stress and Well-Being
SECTION III: AROMATHERAPY IN CLINICAL SPECIALTIES
12: Care of the Elderly
13: Critical Care
15: Mental Health
17: Palliative, Hospice, and End of Life Care
19: Respiratory Care
20: Women’s Health
Appendix: Recommended Essential-Oil Distributors
"This is the first peer-reviewed, evidence-based book on clinical aromatherapy. Well-referenced and well-written, it instils confidence and will hopefully change the way that clinical aromatherapy is perceived."
Elizabeth M. Williamson PhD, MRPharmS, FLS - Director of Pharmacy Practice, University of Reading
"For decades, Dr. Buckle has been one of the foremost authorities in Clinical Aromatherapy and the new edition of her book will be a huge milestone for our practice. This edition is a treasure trove of research-based clinical information – it will become an indispensable reference for aromatherapists!"
Barbara Cordell, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, CCAP - Dean of Nursing, Panola College
"In this latest edition of 'Aromatherapy for Health Professionals,' Dr. Jane Buckle provides a much needed resource for health professionals who use or wish to use essential oils in clinical settings. Her wealth of experience as an aromatherapist lends practical credibility to her recommendations, while her nursing and research career in the health care systems of Europe and the U.S. is apparent in both the evidence base of her recommendations and their scientific rationale. I recommend this book to all health professionals."
Linda L. Halcon, PhD, MPH, RN - Chair, Population Health & Systems Cooperative Unit, School of Nursing, University of Minnesota
"Greatest and fantastic guidebook for medical aromatherapy! Evidence based M technique will be fascinating to every MD!"
Kazuhisa Maeda, MD, PhD - Associate Professor, Department of Complementary & Alternative Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine
Secondary market: Massage therapists, physicians in any of specialties covered in contents' list i.e. cardiology, care of elderly, critical care, dermatology, gynecology, immunology, pediatrics, palliative and terminal care, respiratory care. Physiotherapists. Pharmacists. Aromatherapists.