This book is a guide to proven, current clinical endodontic practice. It is designed, primarily, with the undergraduate readership in mind but is also suitable for anyone pursuing specialist training, including extended skills in endodontics, and general dental practitioners undertaking CPD, or wishing to keep up-to-date. The seventh edition is available with an online question bank containing MCQs and Clinical Cases.
- Practical approach to the subject, taking the reader through every step of endodontic practice from its scientific basis to patient assessment and through to clinical techniques
- Helpful pedagogic features – including Learning Outcomes and Summary Boxes – help reinforce learning
- International experts and contributors help ensure good coverage and currency of information
- Explores areas of debate when they exist to reflect differing approaches to treatment intervention
- Explains the potential impact of systemic conditions and disorders, as well as medications, on endodontic treatment planning and management
- Discusses the diagnosis of orofacial pain and the appropriate use of antibiotics and analgesics
- Explores the maintenance of pulp vitality and the prevention of apical periodontitis in the context of operative dentistry
- Provides an overview of instruments and devices used during endodontic treatment
- Describes the fundamental principles of canal filling using gutta-percha, as well as the use of alternative materials, and newer root filling techniques
- Discusses the management of dental trauma with emphasis on accurate diagnosis, timely and appropriate treatment, and follow-up
- Explores the interface between endodontic-periodontal disease in the context of diagnosis, treatment and prognostic assessment
- Discusses common challenges such as inadequate pain control and problems with preparation and filling of the root canal system
- Written at a level which is ideal for dental students, general dental practitioners and those pursuing specialist training or seeking to keep up-to-date
- Comes with access to an online question bank containing a wide range of MCQs and Clinical Cases to help reinforce learning!
- Richly illustrated with over 80 colour artworks – many created by the Gray’s Anatomy illustration team – and 350 photographs, many of which are previously unpublished
- Explores advances in our understanding of the role of microorganisms in the pathogenesis of pulpal and periradicular diseases and the role of host defence response against root canal infection
- Explores the use of newer imaging techniques such as three-dimensional tomography in determining pulp space anatomy and in treatment planning
- Explains recent advances in material technology, molecular biology and regenerative medicine in the management of deep caries and maintenance of pulp vitality
- Explores the effective use of existing and newer chemomechanical preparation techniques and intracanal medication for thorough root canal system decontamination
- Explores advances in the techniques available for restoring endodontically treated teeth
1 Introduction and overview
2 General and systemic aspects of endodontics
4 Pulp space anatomy and access cavities
5 Maintaining dental pulp vitality
6 Instrumentation in endodontics
7 Preparation of the root canal system
8 Intracanal medication
9 Root canal filling
10 Surgical endodontics
11 Endodontics in primary teeth
12 Endodontic aspects of traumatic injuries
13 Marginal periodontitis and the dental pulp
14 Problems in endodontic treatment
15 Restoration of endodontically treated teeth
"I would recommend this book to anybody with an interest in endodontic practice"
"an excellent learning tool"
Comments about previous editions
This is a very informative textbook which I would definitely recommend and have learnt from. I wish I had known about it and read it on my undergraduate course - at the time I had not realised that there was such a concise book on the subject at a suitable level, interesting and easy to read!
This book should give people the confidence and encouragement to perform more endodontic procedures.
Georgina Baker, PG Student, Eastman Dental Institute, UK
Overall, an EXCELLENT and concise endodontic book for all clinicians of varying backgrounds and experience. I would highly recommend it!
Miss Zahra Hussain, PG Student, Eastman Dental Institute, UK
Harty’s Endodontics in Clinical Practice is an excellent text for both the undergraduate dental student and the busy general dental practitioner. Its logical, evidence-based chapters and concise approach progress through the course of endodontic treatment with the aid of excellent diagrams, radiographs and photographs, giving the reader a clear and easy explanation as to the principles of root canal treatment, the essentials of periradicular surgery and the management of traumatic injuries. This is an excellent reference text for a continually evolving field.
Tony Preston, Senior Lecturer in Endodontics, Liverpool, UK
A brilliant little book that gives an excellent overview of endodontics in a logical order! The style is excellent, making for easy reading and it's the right size to tote around for reference. I feel that the authors make an effort to give balanced views of different approaches to endodontic treatment and weigh up the evidence. I think this is really important as different clinicians/schools may have different (valid) views on things and this can be confusing for the undergraduate student; having these views discussed in one's set text is a good reminder that we don't know all the answers yet!
Due to its size, this is not the most comprehensive book ever. However, the references at the end of every chapter are extensive and should provide lots of further reading for those so inclined. The authors also signpost references to review articles, useful for those of us who don't make a habit of going through lists of citations.
I really cannot fault this text; this is how more textbooks should be written!
Amazon reviewer 2014
Undergraduate students, newly qualified dentists, dentists with special interest/extended skills in endodontics, and anyone seeking to keep up-to-date