Dermatology: An Illustrated Colour Text is an ideal resource for today’s medical student, hospital resident, specialty registrar in dermatology or internal medicine, specialist nurse or family doctor. It presents the subject as a series of two page ‘learning units’, each covering important aspects of clinical dermatology.
These units use an unsurpassed collection of colour clinical photographs of all major dermatological conditions, concise yet comprehensive text and Key Point boxes to aid quick access to information and examination preparation. They incorporate summaries of the essential skin biology and associated basic sciences that underpin clinical practice, as well as advice on established and emerging dermatological treatments. Guidance is also given to dermatological emergencies, and to the most useful online resources for updates and further reference.
Building on previous success, this seventh edition has been fully revised throughout. The accompanying interactive eBook version completes this superb learning package.
- New and enhanced coverage of key and emerging areas – including biologic therapies, dermoscopy, skin surgery, cosmetic surgery, skin cancer, pigmented skin, male and female genital dermatoses, lymphomas of the skin, paediatric dermatology, psychodermatology, rosacea, benign skin tumours, immunological tests, molecular genetics, connective tissue diseases of the skin and skin procedures
- New line drawings and photographs incorporated throughout to further improve clarity and ensure comprehensive visual coverage of important dermatological conditions
- (Printed book) Includes downloadable eBook version with bonus material – incorporating self-test flashcards and multiple
- Information is presented in easy to access text layouts.
- Highly illustrated with over 400 colour photographs and drawings.
- Summary boxes are included for revision purposes.
- Covers the subject from basic molecular mechanisms through to the principles of medical and surgical treatment
Review: Journal of American Academy of Dermatology: June 2017
Dermatology: An illustrated colour text, 6th ed, by Elsevier is the newest edition of the illustrated introductory dermatology text. Dermatology: An illustrated colour text continues to be targeted toward medical students, general practitioners, and early resident trainees with the objective of introducing the diagnosis and management of common dermatologic diseases. It is a concise, well-organized text with significant supplemental online resources to expand the scope of the text. The authors, Drs Gawkrodger and Ardern-Jones, succeed with the newest edition in providing both a readable introductory text and covering a wide range of dermatologic topics.
The publication is divided into 3 sections and is comprised of 67 succinct chapters. The first section introduces basic dermatologic principles, including microanatomy, physiology, and basic dermatologic terminology and physical examination taking. The second section comprises the bulk of the publication and is arranged by disease entity with each treated as an educational unit for rapid accessibility. Clinical images and illustrations are excellent and of high quality. The final section describes various special topics in dermatology, including chapters on procedural dermatology, pediatric dermatology, and unique demographics in dermatology, such as pregnancy, geriatric, and skin of color. The online resources include the complete text and review flashcards and chapter self-assessments. The interface is easy to navigate and the learning resources supplement the text well.
This text is not intended to be all-inclusive, but instead functions as an accessible reference to introductory dermatology. The authors succeed in this aspect. In an increasingly technological age, supplementation with online content makes the use of this text and its resources more valuable. While the book is non-comprehensive, it serves as a good reference for medical students, nurses, general practitioners, and early dermatology trainees.
Bryan Baillis, MD Charleston, South Carolina
Medical students, hospital resident / junior doctors, specialty registrars in dermatology or internal medicine, specialist nurses