The essential guide to passing the MRCPCH Applied Knowledge in Practice (AKP) exam.
Closely aligned to the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) theory examination syllabus and also reflective of current UK practice. Applied Knowledge in Paediatrics will leave the reader with a sound knowledge of all the core topics relevant to paediatrics and child health. It will also provide a useful study aid for those undertaking the MRCPCH Applied Knowledge in Practice examination.
The book covers how and why illnesses develop in children and young people, the appropriate investigations and treatment required, the urgency of implementation and the impact of the disease process on the child and their family.
This comprehensive text is edited by Dr Martin Hewitt, a Senior Theory Examiner for the AKP examination, and Dr Roshan Adappa a Senior clinician and postgraduate trainer, with expert input from more than 60 paediatric specialists. 33 chapters provide comprehensive information of all areas of paediatric practice.
- Directly aligned to the Applied Knowledge in Practice syllabus and examination
- 50 sample questions along with answers and reasoning explaining each of the answer options
- Chapter on how to prepare for the RCPCH AKP examination
- Clinical scenarios in each chapter outlining difficult clinical problems and proposed management plans
- Clinical images to aid understanding
- Level of detail to support clinical practice of paediatricians with 12-18 months experience
3 Adolescent medicine
4 Growth and puberty
5 Genetics and dysmorphology
7 Behavioural medicine and mental health
8 Emergency medicine
9 Unintentional injuries and Poisoning
10 Fluids and electrolyte management
12 Infectious Diseases
13 Infection Control
16 Liver disorders
18 Hearing and ENT
19 Gastroenterology and Hepatology
24 Diabetes Mellitus
27 Neurodevelopmental Medicine
29 Musculoskeletal disorders
30 Metabolic medicine
31 Palliative Care
32 Ethics and law
33 Patient safety and clinical governance
34 Evidence based paediatrics
35 Exam questions and answers