The fourth edition of this book is thoroughly revised and updated. Following recent developments and advances in pharmacology, the book provides factual, conceptual and applied aspects of the subject. It is designed to meet the needs of students pursuing undergraduate courses in dentistry and for practicing dentists.
New to This Edition
• Full 4-colour format with significant revision of figures and flowcharts.
• Many drugs like anticancer, anthelmintic, antimalarial, antiviral have been updated along with treatment guidelines for HIV and tuberculosis.
• Key points for dentists added wherever relevant, stimulates enthusiasm for subject.
• Inclusion of prescription writing section to help students accurately write prescriptions.
• Updated content, figures, flowcharts with addition of specific description of drugs presented as headings and subheadings with different font. This style of presentation would not only make it easier for students to understand the subject in a better manner but would also help them to quickly review and revise the subject before examination.
• Text is presented in a simple, precise and point-wise manner, with complex information summarized in tables, student-friendly mnemonics, line diagrams and flowcharts, which makes the learning and comprehension easier for students.
• Mechanism of action of drugs are illustrated with diagrams and 11 animations for better understanding.
• Separate chapter on dental pharmacology discuss about the drugs used in dentistry.
Complimentary access to full e-book along
Chapter 1 General Pharmacology
Introduction (Defi nitions and Sources of Drugs)
Routes of Drug Administration Pharmacokinetics 9
Factors Modifying Drug Action
Adverse Drug Effects
Treatment of Poisoning
Chapter 2 Drug Dosage Forms
Solid Dosage Forms
Semisolid Dosage Forms
Liquid Dosage Forms
Injectable Dosage Forms
New Drug-Delivery Systems
Chapter 3 Drugs Acting on Autonomic Nervous System
Introduction to Autonomic Pharmacology
Cholinergic Agents (Cholinomimetics, Parasympathomimetics)
Anticholinergic Agents (Cholinergic Receptor Blockers)
Antimuscarinic Agents (Muscarinic Receptor Antagonists)
Skeletal Muscle Relaxants
Adrenergic Agonists (Sympathomimetic Agents)
Adrenergic Receptor Blockers
Chapter 4 Drugs Affecting Cardiovascular Function
Drugs Used in Congestive Cardiac Failure
Chapter 5 Renal Pharmacology
Chapter 6 Drugs Acting on Central Nervous System
Neurotransmitters and Central Nervous System
Sedatives and Hypnotics
Alcohols (Ethanol and Methanol)
Drugs for Bipolar Disorder
Chapter 7 Autacoids and Respiratory System
Histamine and Antihistamines
Prostaglandins and Leukotrienes (Eicosanoids)
Nonsteroidal Anti-Infl ammatory Drugs
Drugs Used in Treatment of Bronchial Asthma
Chapter 8 Drugs Used in the Treatment of Gastrointestinal Diseases
Emetics and Antiemetics
Laxatives (Purgatives, Cathartics)
Pharmacotherapy of Peptic Ulcer and Gastroesophageal Refl ux Disease
Chapter 9 Drugs Affecting Coagulation and Blood Formation
Drugs Affecting Coagulation and Bleeding
Chapter 10 Endocrine Pharmacology
Hypothalamic and Pituitary Hormones
Thyroid Hormones and Antithyroid Drugs
Insulin and Oral Antidiabetic Agents
Agents Affecting Calcium Balance
Chapter 11 Chemotherapy
Beta-Lactam Antibiotics ntents
Antipseudomonal Agents (Drugs Used in Pseudomonal Infections)
Drugs Used in Anaerobic Infections
Miscellaneous Antibacterial Agents
Chapter 12 Dental Pharmacology
Chapter 13 Miscellaneous Drugs
Antiseptics and Disinfectants
Drug Treatment of Medical Emergencies
Dental Tray (Emergency Drug Kit) for Dentists
Commonly Used Abbreviations
Commonly Prescribed Drugs